Modifying the Current/EDP limit throttling?

SamCem
SamCem Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello,

I have a desktop “Aspire TC-1780” with Intel i5-13400, 16GB RAM, 180W power supply.
In the Cinebench R23 benchmark, I noticed that the multi-score of my PC (14500 points) is slightly lower than the values published on the Internet for the same processor (approx. 15900 points)

I finally found the cause thanks to the “Intel Extreme Tuning Utility” program: The turbo clock of the P-Cores is constantly “only” 3.8 Ghz in the benchmark instead of the max. possible 4.6 Ghz. This is because “Current/EDP Limit Throttling” is also constantly active, which limits the maximum power consumption to approx. 90-95W.

Since I couldn't find a setting in the BIOS to change this threshold, I tried using “ThrottleStop” to increase the power values Pl1 and PL2 - but this didn't lead to any change in the CPU clock, and “Current/EDP Limit Throttling” is still active in the benchmark.

Is there any other way to increase Current/EDP threshold?

I only want to increase it for a short time for testing purposes. In normal operation, the current 90W threshold probably makes sense anyway.

Answers

• unclewebb
    unclewebb Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 in the ThrottleStop TPL window. You need an unlocked K series CPU to increase the IccMax current limits. If adjusting PL4 does not work then you are out of options.