Can't install Windows 7 on Acer Aspire 5742ZG, Missing Storage Driver and No Partitions found

Silviu22
Silviu22 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited 3:10PM in Aspire Laptops

Hello community,

I am trying to reinstall Windows 7 on my old Acer Aspire 5742zg (oldie, but goldie). Once I need to select a partition to continue the installation process, I get a warning saying that I need a storage driver and none partitions appear. I have also tried to install Windows 10 (not sure if it is supported by this laptop), but the same error occurs. I tried to find this storage driver on Acer’s official site with no success. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail to the title]

Answers

• Uz
    Uz Member Posts: 36 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Hello. Wish to know is your storage is old one what was before inside or you using new one? Take hdd or sdd out to another pc and use partatsion tools to make drive letter when it have not. And if there was old then you should make storage mbr ntfs, then with rufus proge make install usb stick and install w 7. With new one you should format to mbr ntfs and after that use it.

• Silviu22

The laptop has all its original components (bought in 2012). Nothing changed. I already did the bootable USB with rufus and I set MBR, ntfs and all stuff. Did not solve the issue.

• Uz
    Uz Member Posts: 36 Die Hard WiFi Icon

When you boot in bios, is bios see your disk (like toshiba ——— numbers letters) ?

• Silviu22
    edited September 18

This is what I see in Bios, Information tab.

[Edited to hide sensitive information]

• Silviu22

Any ideas?…

• husnainlodhi
    husnainlodhi Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited 2:50PM

Try changing the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS and ensure you're using the correct installation media. If you still face issues, consider downloading SATA drivers and loading them during the Windows installation. If you want more than

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,167 Pathfinder

@husnainlodhi

Try to download the irst driver and check

download and unzip the irst driver

copy it to usb

while installing windows chose load driver - click on browse - chose irst - run setuprst

You will now be able to see the partition info

remove the partitions and install windows

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Silviu22

@husnainlodhi I already tried the AHCI mode. Still not a solution. Where can I find those SATA drivers you pointed out?

@William_mk2 IRST driver is not available for such an old configuration. From what I know, that would be a valid tool for Intel's 10 and 11 generations.