External monitor VG240Y locks at 30fps while playing games in fullscreen mode.

Tej1402
Tej1402 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited September 17 in Monitors

I just bought a new acer VG240Y M3 monitor which supports 180hz, firstly I cant see the option to set my refresh rate to 180hz in the display settings so I can only set it to 120hz. Second, when I play games (Eg: Valorant) on fullscreen mode the monitor locks to 30fps, it is only when I play it in fullscreen mode that my monitor does this, when I change it to fullscreen-windowed mode I get proper 120fps. The monitor switches on and off like its getting a new input and just locks to 30fps on fullscreen mode. Only while playing games on fullscreen mode I experience this issue, all the other times the monitor works like its supposed to. Can someone please help me regarding this?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Typically refresh rates are determined by your GPU, up to what the monitor supports. So if your GPU supports 120Hz only, you won't be able to get 180Hz even though the monitor supports that refresh rate.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tej1402

I understand that but my main problem is that when I connect my laptop to my monitor and open games on full-screen mode my monitor locks my fps to 30. Any idea on how to fix that?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,070 Pathfinder

@Tej1402

Make sure the full-screen mode is set to the correct monitor's native resolution. Any scaling resolution will have a reduced the refresh rate.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Tej1402

@AnhEZ28 I did try setting it to the monitor's native resolution but for some reason as soon as I put it into fullscreen mode it turns off and turns on to only be locked at 30fps.

• Uz
    Uz Member Posts: 36 Die Hard WiFi Icon

What laptop you have? Do you have dual gpus? Like Intel and AMD? or only protcessor based integrated gpu?

• Tej1402

@Uz I have a Dell Inspiron 5590 and no I dont have a dedicated GPU, only integrated UHD graphics.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

IIRC that Dell has a 10th gen chipset and the DP port is 1.4b, so it should be able to handle higher refresh frequencies. Especially since you are at 1920x1080… Is there anything between the DP port on the Dell and the DP port on the monitor other than the video cable, like a dock, splitter or port adapter?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tej1402

@billsey No, I've connected the HDMI cable directly from my laptop to my monitor.