Predator Helios 16 (from Coolblue) or a fully custom built,Longevity:Laptop vs custom built desktop?

thomasfbe
thomasfbe Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited September 16 in Predator Laptops

Hi all!

I've had my mind set on a new gaming computer for some time now. I'm a bit stuck on the classic 'laptop vs desktop' debacle… I enjoy the mobility a laptop offers, but experience thought me that, due to limited upgradability, laptops tend to outdate faster. I have my eyes set on a 4080 machine: either the Predator Helios 16 (from Coolblue) or a fully custom-built machine (looking at a custom design from Fenn Systems atm).

How long do you feel a 4080 laptop would last before it would start to struggle with modern AAA games?

Maybe I'm overthinking it... 😅

[Edited the topic title to include model number]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,788 Trailblazer
    edited September 16

Hi , this is a bit like comparing an old landline dial phone unit with a mobile phone, I live on a farm in the tropics and move around constantly while working on my laptop with a mobile router, travel to town, work in my car I am 100% more productive than if working at a desk in a non-air-conditioned room but I am not a gamer, so I guess you are stuck with a desktop. I disagree with your contention that laptops tend to outdate faster, yes, they are more expensive if you want to keep up with progress, I change laptops every 3-4 years, don't want to think working with a 15-year-old desktop. 😀