DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) make's my NVIDIA Graphics Driver crash in Predator Helios 300 PH315-54

federicoalie
federicoalie Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited September 16 in Predator Laptops

Does anyone experience my issue? this issue has been up for almost 6 months and i dont know why.

When i search for my issue in online the solution given in there didn't resolve my issue. So lately i've experience crash and screen blinking when playing all HoYoVerse game and also Wuthering Waves. When i check the Event Viewer (You can see the image attached to a link) the culprit is the app called DWM crashing and that lead to my graphics driver crash too.

I've been following the online solution like reinstall the graphics driver using DDU etc etc but it seems like didn't resolve my issue. So, i think maybe this community have similar problem and can share what to do with this issue.

Thank you.

Device: Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 724L 32GB RAM

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Many users have reported similar issues with the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) causing NVIDIA graphics driver crashes, particularly on the Predator Helios 300 series. Here are some potential solutions and insights based on community experiences:

Common Issues and Solutions

1. Power Plan Settings: Switching from a "High Performance" power plan to a "Balanced" or "Ultimate Performance" plan has resolved crashes for some users. This adjustment can help manage power distribution more effectively, reducing strain on the GPU during gaming sessions.
    2. Driver Reinstallation: Although you've tried using DDU to reinstall the graphics driver, ensure you're using the latest stable version from NVIDIA. Sometimes, rolling back to a previous driver version can also help if the latest one is causing instability. The issues you're experiencing with DWM crashing and NVIDIA graphics driver failures are indeed linked to specific driver versions. Users have reported that certain NVIDIA driver versions, particularly around the 471.xx series, have been problematic, causing DWM to crash and leading to black screens or driver failures during gaming sessions. For instance, some users found that reverting to driver version 466.77 resolved their issues, while others experienced similar problems with newer drivers like 512.15. Additionally, NVIDIA support has acknowledged that DWM crashes can stem from interactions between the driver and other system components, including monitor refresh rates and the NVIDIA GeForce Experience application. Therefore, if you're using a problematic driver version, rolling back to a more stable release may provide a temporary fix. It's advisable to keep an eye on updates from NVIDIA, as they may address these issues in future driver releases.
    3. Disable Hardware Acceleration: Disabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows settings may alleviate conflicts between DWM and the NVIDIA driver.
    4. Monitor Refresh Rate: Adjusting the monitor refresh rate to a standard setting (like 60Hz) has helped some users avoid crashes. If you're using a higher refresh rate, try lowering it to see if stability improves.
    5. Check for Overheating: Ensure that your laptop is not overheating.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,429 Trailblazer

It must be coming from HoYoVerse game and also Wuthering Waves as it should not be coming from anywhere else. Also set your laptop up properly with the last bios and firmware updates and proper settings for gaming, have a look at this guide here from one of our community members; Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• federicoalie

Tinkerer

thanks a lot, i'll try this solution and see if it's effective or not

• federicoalie

Tinkerer

i don't know whether it's the game or not. But i think if the problem is on the game many player have experienced it. I also try another game like Once Human, Valorant, and CS2. That also crashes my DWM so i think it's not game related issue it is more like the driver itself or the windows.