The image on the external monitor connected via type-c disappears (Monitor - MD272QXPW)

Fansteori
Fansteori Member Posts: 5 New User
edited September 15 in Monitors

Hello everyone. The other day I bought a usb3.2 gen2 type-c cable for my monitor. It is quite convenient, you charge the laptop, display images, sound and have a USB hub.

But there was a problem. The monitor works normally only at the frame refresh rate of 85 Hz. When I turn on 100Hz, the image starts to fade. This happens very often.

You might think that the problem is with the cable, but no, my wife has a Lenovo laptop. When I use her laptop I can do 2K, 100FPS, HDR, 10BIT and NO flickering. Why Aser brings trouble. I tried different extensions, the image disappears even at 1280*720, 100FPS. Only 85 works. Maybe it's the operating system? But no, I'm also running Ubuntu, and it also only displays the image at 85Hz, so it's a hardware thing. I tried turning off Power Delivery to just output the image, same problems again.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,781 Trailblazer
    edited September 15 Answer ✓

Hi, the DP port supports 100Hz up to 2560x1440p resolution, commonly referred to as 2K or QHD (Quad High Definition), 4K only at 60Hz refresh rate. I believe your monitor is 2K but the iGPU in the Acer Swift 3 SF314-42 could be a factor. This model comes with AMD Ryzen processors with RX VEGA iGPUs limited in terms of outputting higher refresh rates at higher resolutions. Update the GPU drivers is the only way as you don't have Thunderbolt or USB4 to connect to a eGPU adapter.

• Fansteori
    Answer ✓

No, unfortunately it didn't work. The problem is not in the drivers. I had a problem with the fact that I accidentally left the Generic driver and when setting 100Hz, it was 60. The problem is trivial and has no solution. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in choosing a laptop. It makes me not take Acer ever.

Answers

• Fansteori

My laptop - SF314-42

Monitor - MD272QXPW

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,781 Trailblazer
    edited September 15 Answer ✓

Hi, the DP port supports 100Hz up to 2560x1440p resolution, commonly referred to as 2K or QHD (Quad High Definition), 4K only at 60Hz refresh rate. I believe your monitor is 2K but the iGPU in the Acer Swift 3 SF314-42 could be a factor. This model comes with AMD Ryzen processors with RX VEGA iGPUs limited in terms of outputting higher refresh rates at higher resolutions. Update the GPU drivers is the only way as you don't have Thunderbolt or USB4 to connect to a eGPU adapter.

• Fansteori

The GPU situation is interesting.
    My wife's lenovo is built on a Ryzen 3 4300 and it works great. At that time, my circle 5 4500 will not be able to produce what I want. Again, this works equally poorly on different OSes. Ubuntu 24, Windows 10, Windows 11 which I installed yesterday. Immediately installed the latest AMD drivers. The image disappears. Sometimes it appears and disappears again.

Regarding the resolution. Yes, by 2K I meant 2560x1440p and I will repeat once again that lenovo with Ryzen 3 4300 works at 2560x1440p 100FPS.

I understand that this is already a dead laptop. But at the moment I don't need more. And I was not going to update. And it's a shame to give up 100 framerate. Especially when I see that the 3 4300 does what I want. Therefore, the question is rather for Aser. To their savings and poor implementation.

• Fansteori

Surprisingly, you are right.
    After uninstalling and installing the GPU driver, everything worked.

• Fansteori
    Answer ✓

No, unfortunately it didn't work. The problem is not in the drivers. I had a problem with the fact that I accidentally left the Generic driver and when setting 100Hz, it was 60. The problem is trivial and has no solution. Unfortunately, I made a mistake in choosing a laptop. It makes me not take Acer ever.