RAM memory types available for my Travelmate P414-41

zenspacetime
zenspacetime Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 14 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi Acer Fam,

What memory types are supported on my travelmate anyone know? i want to upgrade it to 32gb, i'm wondering if it will support faster speeds than the 4800Mhz installed, would it support 5200 or 5600?

see HWinfo snaphot

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,429 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Just some further info as the below are the specs of the Acer service guide for the TravelMate P414-41 and what ram Acer tested this laptop with and recommends this laptop to work best with:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you have it scoped out pretty good then, though I would put serious thought into a 2TB drive rather than 1TB for the expansion. You are a bit of a data hog and will find that more space is better. :)

The sequence you suggest is exactly how I'd do it. Remove the current 1TB data drive and place the new drive in that slot. Clone the existing system drive to the new drive. Remove the existing system drive and move the new drive to that slot (though that's not strictly needed) and put the old data drive back in it's original slot. Boot up and you should be good to go, except with a much larger C: partition.

In the future, when you decide to increase the size of that data drive, just work with an external NVMe case. Put the new (2TB, 4TB, 8TB?) drive into the case, copy the data off the internal data drive to the new drive, then swap the drives. Your big drive will then be internal and the old data drive will be in a case for offline storage. On my desktop system I have two 8TB data drives mirrored with each other, and two 2TB SSDs mirrored for my system drive. That is slightly slower than it would be if I weren't mirroring, but much more robust.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen

Your TravelMate P414-41 supports max total of 32GB @ DDR5-4800MT/s only. Have a look at its specs in the PDF doc below. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,781 Trailblazer

There are 2 RAM slots that support up to 16GB/slot DDR5 4800MT/s Non-ECC Unbuffered SODIMM CL40 1RX8 1.1V 262-pin to a maximum RAM of 32GB: Memory for a Acer - TravelMate P4 TMP416-41-xxx Series - Kingston Technology

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

Just some further info as the below are the specs of the Acer service guide for the TravelMate P414-41 and what ram Acer tested this laptop with and recommends this laptop to work best with:

• billsey

And, of course, those specs are a little misleading. They state you can use 32GB sticks, yet say that two slots gives you a maximum of 32GB. Here's the relevant bits from the block diagram:

The chipset supports up to 16GB modules per DDR5 channel, so the maximum memory is 32GB. It is possible that the design allows a single 32GB dual channel stick, but wouldn't address an extra 32GB of memory if you tried to populate both slots with 32GB sticks. So, stay with 16GB per slot as the maximum and you should be OK.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • zenspacetime

Brilliant! Thanks everyone for the swift response!

If I bought these Would it work ok?

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?manufacturer=CRUCIAL&mancode=CT2K16G48C40S5

also looking to upgrade the C drive 256gb to a 1tb, would this one be okay?

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?manufacturer=KINGSTON&mancode=SNV2S%2f1000G

would these two be significant upgrades and increase the performance? I'll mostly be using it for Music Projects… I need something portable and powerful… without breaking the bank and using what i already have.

Appreciate advice, tips suggestion.

Thanks

• billsey

Yes to both, there's no practical limit to drive size, and both of your M.2 slots are gen 4. The drive change won't give a big change in performance, just in storage capacity. If I were doing that, in your environment, I'd be tempted to put a large drive in as a secondary storage device and the system drive at 512GB or 1TB, but 256GB would work quite well if you install your apps on the secondary drive and just leave C: for the OS and system type files. That might be a little complex to setup though, so just swapping the 256GB for a 1TB or 2TB would work more easily. Maxing the memory out will help with performance, but only when you are running apps that want a bunch of memory, and music development will likely fit that bill.

• zenspacetime

Great thanks! I already have a 1tb in the second slot and it's almost full! I use the laptop also for DJing and have a huge library of just music on the D drive but now I want to use this little beast for also music production and it's much better having the project files on the internal drives! so I plan to clone the C drive by temporarily replacing the current d drive slot with the new M.2 ssd and clone the c drive to it, then replace the C drive slot with the new drive and return the original d drive ssd back to it's original slot! hopefully it will boot up okay! I've never done that, but heard it's straight forward enough! any recommendations on a smooth process like that?

yeah I don't expect any performance increase in the new drive! hopefully it's equal or faster in speed! not sure what the original drive speed is rated at.

Thanks!

• billsey
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you have it scoped out pretty good then, though I would put serious thought into a 2TB drive rather than 1TB for the expansion. You are a bit of a data hog and will find that more space is better. :)

The sequence you suggest is exactly how I'd do it. Remove the current 1TB data drive and place the new drive in that slot. Clone the existing system drive to the new drive. Remove the existing system drive and move the new drive to that slot (though that's not strictly needed) and put the old data drive back in it's original slot. Boot up and you should be good to go, except with a much larger C: partition.

In the future, when you decide to increase the size of that data drive, just work with an external NVMe case. Put the new (2TB, 4TB, 8TB?) drive into the case, copy the data off the internal data drive to the new drive, then swap the drives. Your big drive will then be internal and the old data drive will be in a case for offline storage. On my desktop system I have two 8TB data drives mirrored with each other, and two 2TB SSDs mirrored for my system drive. That is slightly slower than it would be if I weren't mirroring, but much more robust.