Trying to get the Drives for Bios Recovery in Acer TravelMate P256 (TMP 256-M-54HH)

Tshesco08
Tshesco08 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 11 in TravelMate and Extensa

Good day Acer

I have an Acer Travel Mate P256

TMP 256-M-54HH MFG Date: 2015/03/04

SNID: XXXXXXXXXX

I was trying to get the Drives for Bios Recovery, but my SNID was not recognized.

I can switch on the laptop, but The Screen is black with only the cursor showing.

Could you please help me get the drives?

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer
    edited September 11 Answer ✓

Your laptop is the TravelMate P256-M (have a look at the sticker on the back of the laptop) to make sure of the exact laptop number as by the info above, that is what I can tell that your laptop model is! If the SNID number doesn't work, you need to put the Travelamate model number that is on the back sticker into the Acer Support page for the TravelMate P256-M as that is the model number of your laptop, which its last bios is version: 1.22 titled: “Improve system performance” dated: 2016/04/07.

But if you can't switch on the laptop but "The Screen is black with only the cursor showing" the first thing that you need to do isa Hard Reset "DO NOT flash the bios" you need to do that reset below,

To do a Hard Reset do this:

• Take the main battery out and disconnect latop from adapter
    • Unscrew the seventeen (17) screws to take the back cover off
    • Place the laptop on the surface, lower case facing the surface. Open the lid and push to the utmost position. Starting from the ODD slot, pull to release the right side latches from the lower case. -
    • Continue to release the left side latches - CAUTION: Cables are connected. Make caution when separating the upper case from the lower case.
    • Release the lower side latches then unplug the Touchpad FFC cable and Keyboard cable
    • Disconnect the RTC/Bios battery and short its + & - mainboard plug pins to reset CMOS
    • Take the ram out and leave the laptop like that for at least 1 hour preferably overnight,

Then reconnect everything but only connect 1x ram module (if you have two modules) to see if the ram is not the cause of the laptop blank/black screen, as the laptop should boot perfectly. If it dosent then you have either an eDP cable/plug issue or a screen issue or its best that you take your latop to a technician so that they can pinpoint where the fault of your laptop is and fix replace approriate parts. good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer
    edited September 11 Answer ✓

Your laptop is the TravelMate P256-M (have a look at the sticker on the back of the laptop) to make sure of the exact laptop number as by the info above, that is what I can tell that your laptop model is! If the SNID number doesn't work, you need to put the Travelamate model number that is on the back sticker into the Acer Support page for the TravelMate P256-M as that is the model number of your laptop, which its last bios is version: 1.22 titled: “Improve system performance” dated: 2016/04/07.

But if you can't switch on the laptop but "The Screen is black with only the cursor showing" the first thing that you need to do isa Hard Reset "DO NOT flash the bios" you need to do that reset below,

To do a Hard Reset do this:

• Take the main battery out and disconnect latop from adapter
    • Unscrew the seventeen (17) screws to take the back cover off
    • Place the laptop on the surface, lower case facing the surface. Open the lid and push to the utmost position. Starting from the ODD slot, pull to release the right side latches from the lower case. -
    • Continue to release the left side latches - CAUTION: Cables are connected. Make caution when separating the upper case from the lower case.
    • Release the lower side latches then unplug the Touchpad FFC cable and Keyboard cable
    • Disconnect the RTC/Bios battery and short its + & - mainboard plug pins to reset CMOS
    • Take the ram out and leave the laptop like that for at least 1 hour preferably overnight,

Then reconnect everything but only connect 1x ram module (if you have two modules) to see if the ram is not the cause of the laptop blank/black screen, as the laptop should boot perfectly. If it dosent then you have either an eDP cable/plug issue or a screen issue or its best that you take your latop to a technician so that they can pinpoint where the fault of your laptop is and fix replace approriate parts. good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Tshesco08
    Tshesco08 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for being so helpful. I will try this first

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 500

If you experience a black or blank screen on your Windows device, try the following: To wake the screen, use one of the following keyboard shortcuts: Windows logo key + P or Ctrl + Alt + Del. For a black screen, use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B.

——————————————————

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.