Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 Touchpad not working

Figgis
Figgis Member Posts: 74 Devotee WiFi Icon

My Aspire touchpad suddenly stopped working tonight. F7 key appears to turn it off and on but it makes no difference to the touchpad. I'm having problems using a mouse so am limited as to what I can do. I was going to uninstall the driver, then download the latest one and turn off and on to allow windows to install it. That was the theory. The problem is I can't identify the driver for the touchpad. Can anyone help, please.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello! Is there a problem with the driver in the device manager? Can you tell me the bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Figgis

I said I could not ID the driver. There may well be a problem with it.

How do I find the BIOS and why do I need it?

• Figgis

This is a copy of the BIOS. I will look again for the Driver.

• Figgis

The only Elan device I can find in Device Manager is the fingerprint sensor under Biometric Devices.

• Figgis

The ELAN WBF Fingerprint Sensor is working properly. Is this the correct Driver for the Touchpad??

The Intel Serial I/O driver - I can't find it in Devices. Under which category should it be?

(there should be a search feature to locate stuff). It was much easier to find specific drivers on my old Acer.

Acer: I like to use my laptop. I don't know how to fix the bleed** thing.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,763 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi, keep it simple and restore your system to when touchpad was still working, type restore in Search and click on "Create a restore point" then on "System Restore" followed by a date:

• Figgis

Puraw

KISS. I love simple.

I saw there was an optional update that hadn't installed and decided to install it.

That did the trick and my Touchpad is now working.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

In trying to find the BIOS on MY Acer, the first hurdle met, there wasn't an Update visible. I wasn't happy to touch the BIOS as it was a complete unknown area for me.

As it's now working, I have set up the first restore point. Until now, the only problem with my nearly 2 year old Acer has been the disappearance of Bluetooth. That was an almost monthly affair but it hasn't 'gone' for months now. Hopefully, the Touchpad problem will not recur. I'm puzzled as to why it should have happened as it worked perfectly up to now. I was using the laptop for a couple of hours, put it down for a couple of hours and when I picked it up again the touchpad wasn't working. I didn't change anything. When I first used a computer, I was told it was logical. I believed it at the time but with the driver problems experienced, I no longer believe it.

• Vinayak111
    Vinayak111 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Before installing the Touchpad driver, please install the Serial I/O driver first. (acer site info)

• Download all i/o & touchpad drivers…
    • then if windows default touch pad working just do i/o install (repair ) then touch pad install drivers
    • if no touchpad …go to bios change setting advance > basic in touchpad section
    • then default window automatically install… then try again same above process …
    • then again come to bios to change advance setting to work ( three finger touch )

• Figgis

Vinayak111 Thank you for trying to help.

I installed the Serial I/O driver first but despite asking no one told me which was the touchpad driver. On my old Acer the drivers name included the word touchpad. This one did not. The only driver that looked likely was the Fingerprint Driver & fingerprint sensor in device settings. I still don't know if that was correct.

Which are ALL the Touchpad drivers. They weren't visible when I entered my SNID.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Changing the BIOS would be a last resort even if I could access it.

I tried this early this morning:

How to enter BIOS in Windows 11

When the device is completely shut down, persistently hold the [F2] key on the keyboard and simultaneously press the [Power button] to boot up. Once the BIOS configuration screen appears, you may release the [F2] key.

It didn't work for me. I didn't see anything like a BIOS configuration screen. ________________________________________________

If I have to access the BIOS I would need more detailed instructions to have the confidence to try. I don't want to make things worse.

I'm so glad the touchpad is working as I couldn't use the mouse on my lap for a moment longer.

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

edited September 9

touchpad drivers are in window 10 (OS) option not in window 11…

ELANTECH && Synaptics download both ….

check model ….👇

https://www.acer.com/ae-en/support/product-support/A515-56/downloads?suggest=A515-56;0

• Figgis

I spoke too soon. The Touchpad has stopped working again.

This time, I would like someone to answer my questions.

Do I delete all the Serial IO Host Controllers before downloading the Serial IO Driver?

My old Acer had just one.

I then plan to download the Fingerprint Driver. That driver is already uninstalled ready for the download/s

I may then turn to Windows in case there is a problem there.

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

don't delete drivers.. windows automatic overwrite files.. reply in message box…

• Figgis

So what controls the Touchpad in Windows 11?

I use my SNID to access the correct drivers for my PC. The problem is then trying to ID the specific driver to get my Touchpad working again. ~It's a tad difficult when the description does not say Touchpad. Also, I have to identify the correct device in Device Manager.

I'm really peed off with more driver problems. I spent months reinstalling Bluetooth as it kept disappearing and after several trouble-free months, it's a different driver problem. All sent to try my patience.

I only wish to use my Acer, I don't want to fix it!5

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

• Figgis

I restarted again and the touchpad is once again working. I may see if there is a Windows 11 reset or something to try and fix the problem.

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

• Figgis

The Touchpad is still working.

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

edited September 10

Just tell me your zoom in/out function work in touchpad....

• Figgis

It works just fine with two fingers.

• Vinayak111

Tinkerer

edited September 10

Please stay online or give any alternative way to communicate...to perform task remotely