Swift edge 16 - Bios problem- changed Date and now unable to Boot, how I can reset?

scorpion_Ton_T
scorpion_Ton_T Member Posts: 6 New User
edited August 30 in Swift and Spin Series

Dear friends, I changed the date in the Bios to my current location, and now my Swift edge 16 laptop wont' boot; so, I unplugged Cmos battery, but it still wouldn't' work, any suggestions on how I can reset the Bios?

Thank you for your help :)

[Edited the topic title to include the topic issue.]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,676 Trailblazer
    edited August 30

Hi, DISCONNECT THE MAIN BATTERY FROM THE MOTHERBOARD and take the CMOS coin battery out of the module and shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS housing with a bended paperclip, the minus contact is located at the bottom and the plus contacts are at the rims at the top of the housing, replace the battery with the + sign facing up and close the CMOS module. This should reset the BIOS.

• scorpion_Ton_T

Dear Puraw, Thankyou!! and when you say "cmos housing" do you mean the connector part or the black plastic part that holds the battery? thanks, please see below pictures

• Puraw

Module=housing=the round black plastic thingy with DBV written on it that you show on the above pictures. Next time you reset the date do that in Windows not in BIOS, right click on the date/time box at the far-right taskbar and click on "Adjust date and time" 😉

• scorpion_Ton_T

Hello Sir, just quick update, i tried this method without any success, can you please see the pictures and let me know if i'm doing it correctly, i unplugged the battery and shorted the 2 pins inside the cmos battery connector with paperclip,

• scorpion_Ton_T

okay, so its as simple as cutting open the Dbv housing through the middle?

• Puraw

Is there no way to remove the black housing skin without cutting it? If it is rubber maybe you can stretch it, otherwise yes cutting it with a razor blade halfway horizontally 45-60 degrees just enough to pop out the battery and do the shortening routine with the paperclip and tape it shut afterwards with electrical tape, probably better buy a new CMOS module as tape gets messy when warm.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,356 Trailblazer

Don't short the battery itself, that will only discharge with a lot of heat. Shorting the terminals on the motherboard was correct to bleed off any residual power to the CMOS chips. A changed date in the BIOS should not have caused a boot error. Are you sure you have diagnosed the issue correctly?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • scorpion_Ton_T

unfortunately its soldered to the battery i don't think i will buy this type laptop again

• scorpion_Ton_T

Thankyou All, unfortunately it didn't work, they has made it very hard to do any kind of simple 'fixing' tweaking by the individual because they need to maintain control, i wiill Definitely not be buying this type of laptop in the future its definitely not opensource all

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,356 Trailblazer

That type of CMOS battery, with the black heat shrink tubing covering the battery itself and wires going to the motherboard, is pretty standard. They take up less thickness, which allows the laptop to be designed to be thinner. Replacements are easy to find an inexpensive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.