Predator Helios 300 PH315-53- FPS dropping while gaming

Sm4nett
Sm4nett Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 23 in Predator Laptops

Hi there. I have a 2020 Predator Helios 300 PH315-53, with an Intel i7-10750h and a Nvidia 2070 Max-Q. Recently (here where I live is summer), I had problem running several games and so I monitored CPU and GPU usage/temperatures via Predator Sense and it gave me some results I can't explain (see below - GPU is 0% at the end because I stopped playing). As you can see, at some point the CPU usage drops a little, while GPU usage (but not temperature) goes to 100%. At the same time, my game FPS drop drastically, but after some time (5/10 minutes) it runs again normally, and the cycle repeats itself after some time. I'm baffled as this problem never occured before and I played the very same games (Elden Ring, BG3, ecc.) before with no such problems. I tested lighter games (Titanfall 2) and I had no problems at all, even though the temperatures were high. I ask for support before I do something I'm not practical with my laptop. Thanks to everyone who'll respond.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language.

[Edited the topic title to include model number]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder

@Sm4nett

With the Predator Sense open in the background, try to check the temperature during gaming, especially when you suffer the FPS dropping. What are the temperatures of both CPU and GPU at that time?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Sm4nett
    Sm4nett Member Posts: 2 New User

@AnhEZ28

Thx for your reply! I tried as you said, but this time with a older game (Nier:Automata, 2017) with almost everything maxed out. During a three hours game session, I had no frame drop at all, but I checked temps anyway with the Predator Sense in background and these are the results.

I noticed that at some point the CPU temp went up to 99ºC, but I had no thermal throttling; also, I tried to do as you said, showing the highest temperature (94ºC) I can register in that timespan (I don't know if there is a way to show a full-time graph with the software we use). I'll try a more demanding game later and upload the results.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder

@Sm4nett

The temperature for the CPU is a bit high. You can use a laptop cooler or replace the laptop's thermal paste.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!