Predator PH18-72 does not enter sleep mode (S3)

bodosko
bodosko Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 22 in Predator Laptops

Hello.

I can't make my PH18-72 to enter sleep mode (S3 state) properly. I've tried using every sleep method, via windows menu sleep button, power button on keyboard, and closing the lid, all methods give the same result.

Only the screen and RGBs turn off, but everything else keeps running (fans, sound/music, windows, etc…). And if any button on keyboard or mouse is pressed, the screen and rgb all turn back on instantly, making it clear that the laptop was not sleeping.

Here is a video of me trying to make it enter sleep mode. I let the fans maxed out so you can hear it won't turn off.

I've tried messing around with windows energy options as suggested by other users here on the community. Enabling/Disabling hibernation, enabling/disabling windows fast boot, changing each sleep button behavior, changing the selected power plan, resetting the power plan… But nothing made it work properly.

On the other hand, the hibernation mode (S4) works normally when enabled in Windows.

Answers

• FrEaZeR
    FrEaZeR Member Posts: 173 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Try removing all USBs , if it works test each one to see which does it , could also be some app preventing it to sleep ,no ideea how to find that out .

• bodosko

Same thing happens if no USBs plugged in and all possible apps closed.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder

@bodosko

Use this command to check whether you have the S3 Standby state:

powercfg /availablesleepstates

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • bodosko
    edited August 23

@AnhEZ28

C:\Users\Administrator>powercfg /availablesleepstates
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hibernate
    Hibernation has not been enabled.

Hybrid Sleep
    Standby (S3) is not available.
    Hibernation is not available.
    The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Fast Startup
    Hibernation is not available.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder

@bodosko

The S0 modern standby is currently replacing the S3 standby.

The modern standby makes the laptop wake up from sleep faster than traditional sleep.

Does it make any difference when the laptop is unplugged? Like video pause or stopping fans?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 475

When your computer doesn't go to sleep, check all your settings that can prevent a sleep state. The hardware, power options, and configuration can affect the way power and sleep buttons work. If your PC has Windows updates installed or an installed app requires a restart, then your PC may not sleep at all.

• bodosko

This was the problem. I disabled modern sleep (s0) using this guide https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-disable-modern-standby/ and now sleep is working perfect as it was supposed! Thank you very much, my life is complete.