Why Do The Backlights Sometimes Turn Off During Sleep and Sometimes Not in Helios PH18-72?

SativaGummi
SativaGummi Member Posts: 6 New User
edited August 11 in Predator Laptops

I let my Predator Helios PH18-72 laptop go to sleep on its own when I go to bed. Sometimes I wake up and find the computer asleep with the backlights off and sometimes with the computer asleep but the backlights on. Why is this? I want them to turn off when the computer goes to sleep.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,593 Trailblazer

Sleep mode (S3) reverts automatically to Hibernate mode after some time in Windows when Modern Standby is enabled and there is no LED indication in Hibernate or Hybrid (Fast Startup) mode. Best to disable both Hibernate and Fast Startup in Windows "Change what closing the lid does" and in "Change settings currently unavailable".

• SativaGummi

Thank you for your rapid response. I have done as you suggested, and I will observe its behavior.

• FrEaZeR
    FrEaZeR Member Posts: 173 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

You find the lights on because it's spying on you while you sleep 😂🤣 … just joking , probably because it's not going to sleep , if the lights are on and fans are spinning then something prevented it to go in sleep mode or something woke it up . I noticed happening a few times when i was trying to figure out something else but i was using the Sleep itself(not auto) to test it faster , it was usually happening right when it was performing the sleep action everything turning off for 1-2-3 seconds then back on again with the screen off , i think it still happened even with Hibernation/Fast Start-Up off(better to keep them off anyway) i don't remember exactly .

• SativaGummi

I do stream a radio station from its website while I sleep. Might that have a bearing?

• FrEaZeR

I don't think it can go in Sleep while playing something on it so probably just the "Turn off the display" after XX minutes takes action(if you have it set in Power Options) and not Sleep because it plays the stream , maybe sometimes the stream stops by itself and then it goes to Sleep also possible .
    If it's the same thing it happened to me it's just some mini Windows "bug" or something is preventing it to fully Sleep , can be anything .. apps/settings/etc .

• SativaGummi

Changing those settings did not get the backlights to turn off. Screen is dark, with backlights on. Is there any way tobturn the backlights off nanually?

• FrEaZeR
    Answer ✓

Check Predator Sense , there is an option with "after 30 seconds" and also lighting settings for keyboard , logo , back lights/logo .

• SativaGummi

OK. I'll experiment with that for a while. Thank you for your help.

• SativaGummi

OK. This seems to have resolved the matter. I was a little confused about what Predator Sense did, because it was being overridden by Windows Dynamic Lighting. Once I turned of WDL in Settings, I was able to find a setting on which, when I'm away from my computer, the screen, keyboard, and backlight all turned off shortly after I left my computer . . . and the music still plays! It's probably not asleep, as you say, but that doesn't matter to me as much as the lights being off and the screen locked.

• FrEaZeR

It's probably not asleep, as you say, but that doesn't matter to me as much as the lights being off and the screen locked.

Yep , definitely not asleep , never searched for the exact definition of Sleep but when it sleeps it's similar to shut down and after waking up it will resume as it was before sleep , you can close down the lid and see how sleep works.(if i`m not wrong, closing the lid puts the laptop to sleep by default)

I was a little confused about what Predator Sense did, because it was being overridden by Windows Dynamic Lighting

Forgot to mention the Dynamic Lighting from Windows settings but you found it , not like others here bragging they are software engineers,etc and having no clue how to set up their system .😂