Aspire TC-885-EB11 crashes with NVMe, the computer will randomly fully freeze (no BSOD)

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,560 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Copy of one review.

"I put together a gaming pc about 4 months ago and installed the Samsung 980 as the primary drive. Initially it worked fine but then my new pc starting freezing. This was a complete hardware freeze that required a hard power reboot. The freeze ups continued randomly about once every 2 or 3 days. I tried every type of troubleshooting software I could run including Samsung Magellan but everything seemed to check out fine. I finally tried a different brand of memory - no effect. Next I bought another SSD, a 970 model, cloned it and swapped out the 980. After that, the freeze ups stopped. It’s clear the cause of the problem was the 980. It’s interesting to note these freeze ups occurred during low load operations such as web browsing or watching videos. I have tried working through Samsung’s customer support but it’s extremely frustrating to use. I have used other Samsung SSD’s and they worked fine but in this case, I ended up with a glitchy and vexing product."

• benjydog83
    benjydog83 Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter

Samsung magician has said drive is fully updated no issues. Since it happens on 2 drives, one that known worked in another tower I have suspect it’s the port. Has happened on many full reinstalls of windows 11 so its got to be something that doesn’t change and I’m guessing its the physical port or motherboard.

Not sure if this ever came with nvme from Acer or was just part of the board. I have another (9th gen) tc-885 that appears to have come with an nvme. Looking now the only difference that i overlooked is maybe the blue thermal pad under the nvme over the chips by the drive connector? Could that really be it? Just heat on those chips? Without that pad there is an air gap.

• Larryodie

Could you apply heat sink silicon paste ??

• benjydog83

I don’t know. My other machines (that came with nvme) all have thick blue pads under the drive between the motherboard and drive. I guess that could be worth a try. Does anyone know the size? It’s pretty thick from what I can see maybe 1/2cm to 1cm?

• benjydog83

I found a tear down video of a similar machine (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvrLCRekGY) and here’s a quick screen grab of the pad that the machine with the issues doesn’t have. Anyone know where to get one so thick or do I just layer up thinner ones?

• Larryodie

Why not use the full heat sink ??

• benjydog83

it’s on the underside and this nvme didn’t come with one. I doubt it’s getting hot but it’s now the only difference I can see

• Larryodie
    edited July 30

Do you have a picture ???

• benjydog83

this is a tear down video of a similar model The rubber pad is on the underside of the drive between the drive and motherboard

Looking at the 3 other acer machines I have, all that came with nvme, they all have this while mine (this one this post is all about) did not come with an nvme and doesn’t have one It’s the only difference Best I can tell is perhaps due to placement something is overheating causing the lock up

I’ve ordered thermal pads off Amazon, arriving tomorrow Will have to layer them to build up as thickest was 1.5mm Worth a last try I guess If it still happens I’ll just give up!

• Larryodie

That is my unit (TC-895-UA92) BUT I've never looked at the NVMe unit, I've upgraded the RAM and added a 1TB Sata SSD but have left the SSD NVMe alone.

Per the reviews on Amazon on the Samsung 908 SSD, the pad may be your problem. It seems that Samsung used to supply a pad but no more. Good Luck.

• benjydog83
    edited August 1

well, it didn’t work…

Attaching pictures of both the makeshift nvme rubber/thermal pad, made to match the ones in order models. Darker blue is the made one, lighter is from Acer. Side shot showing the layers as I could only get 0.5mm and 1.0mm pads. Also attaching picture from hdwinfo showing temps all looking good at time of crash.

Tomorrow will try updated intel chipset drivers and a washer on the m.2 screw just in case.

if this doesn’t work I really am out of ideas and may just convert these drives to usb thumb drives.

Just for note, nvme was drive E, boot was separate drive.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,400 Trailblazer
    edited August 1

Just some additional information from the Acer Aspire TC-885 SG, which operates on an M.2 SSD PCIe3x4 max read/write speed and the Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen4x4 M.2 is an overkill and wasted money as you will never ever use its speed in this desktop.

The oem Aspire TC-885 desktop came fitted with the SDAPNUW-512G M.2 SSD drive which is a PCIe3x4 type M.2 SSD drive from Western Digital that is an SN720 NVMe SSD 512GB (Sandisk SDAPNTW-512G M.2 SSD drive) which was a high-end M.2 2280 SSD based on a Sandisk/WD controller with 8 channels. It offers 512 GB of storage and is specified at 3400 MB/s read and 2400 MB/s write and a TBW of 300 TB. The mean time between failures (MTBF) is rated at 1.75 mio hours. It was introduced mid 2018.

If the M.2 slot does not work with these M.2 SSD drives then its the actual M.2 slot that is faulty or are you using the correct end screw to secure the M.2 drive down, like the screw below:

This is the thermal pads used for the M.2 SSD drive, search the web for the Acer part number and see if you can get these pads.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• sophiadavis
    sophiadavis Member Posts: 3 New User

Facing the same issue.

• benjydog83

wow thank you!

I think the pad I made is more 6mm than 7mm doubt adding one more layer will make the difference.

The drive is overkill but it’s what I have. Have tried the drives from other Acer machines (m6660g ) but same results.

The screw looks the same but it did come with a washer so I will try that

as I’ve said, it’s really looking like a port issue and I’m going to give up after this last round of tests.

• benjydog83

unfortunately the machine is still crashing. Actually seems to crash faster now. Before could be overnight or after a day or two, now its only a few hours. Could be just luck of the day. 

Here’s what I’ve done:

-added another 1mm to the home made rubber (total is 7mm to match factory unit)

-added washer to m.2 screw 

-ran the intel updater and updated chipset, wifi and Bluetooth drivers

-tried to install nvme firmware via iso. Wouldn’t allow as already latest installed

I’m all out of ideas. It must be the port that’s failing. Simply having the drive installed as an extra drive is causing full system freezing with no bsod 

thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I think I’m considering this a lost cause now. Hope getting an nvme to usb drive will at least let me use this as extra storage. Will look to swap out my ssd with something larger. 

• benjydog83

Unfortunately the machine continues to crash. It actually is crashing quicker now (after only a few hours where before it could be overnight.

• benjydog83

Here is a list of the last changes i made:

1. added another 1mm of pad (to total 7mm to match factory part)
    2. added a washer to the m.2 screw
    3. ran the intel updater and updated drivers for chipset, wifi and bluetooth
    4. updated GPU drivers
    5. tried to install the nvme firmeware using boot iso. wouldnt as it already had latest version (was hoping to try to reapply but no option to do that).

I'm all out of ideas. it must be the port that is failing. Simply having the drive installed as an extra storage drive is causing these crashes and no BSOD to help figure out why.

Thank you for all the suggestions and comments. I think i'm considering this to be a lost cause now. Hope to be able to use the drive via a usb adapter and eventually swap out the 2tb HDD for a SDD.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,400 Trailblazer
    edited August 3

The only other soution that I can suggest to you is for you to use the Acer tested and recommended M.2 SSD drives listed below. As it could be that the Sandisk M.2 SSD drive has different pins (if you compare its pins to the oem M.2 SSD on the left that Acer uses from the list below) and the Sandisk is not compatible with the M.2 SSD slot your TC-885 desktop has, as there are certain M.2 SSD that will cause BSOD due to incompatibility another M.w SSD drive are the Crucial drives that community members have had problems with, always use the listed M.2 SSD drives that Acer tested your desktop with.

The below list is all the Acer tested M.2 SSD drives that should be fully compatible with your TC-885 desktop and if these still give you a BSOD then you have a problem with the M.2 pin slots of your desktop that will need changing by an experienced technician that has all the parts and micro soldering and microscope tools to do this job.

Aspire Acer compatible and tested M.2 SSD drivers suitable for the TC-885 desktop, note you can use 1TB and 2TB M.2 SSD drives of the same models also if you adhere to the windows max formatting limit rules of MBR/Legacy format which is @ max 2.2TB or the GUID (GPT) is @ max 8 petabytes. Good luck as I know how frustrating and annoying this sort of a problem can be.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• benjydog83

I have used a drive matching the kn2560g0279xxxxxxxxxxxxxx serial and yes, same crash and still no bsod. It’s unrelated to being an officially approved drive of a computer that is 5 generations+ old. Not worth having it taken in to check the port. Would cost less to replace with something newer.

• Larryodie

Does it run with the covers OFF ??

If so use a hair dryer to heat selected areas of the mother board.

You can use compressed air or canned cool-it to reverse the procedure.

If you have an air compressor, blow clean the mother board.

I'm out of thoughts except put your $$$ in a new unit.