Placing RTX 4060 in Predator Orion 3000 600. The video card overheating so doing upgrades

KingofSwede
KingofSwede Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 20 in Predator Desktops

Hello everyone,
I have a Predator Orion 3000 600 I72070-01 (product code DG.E14EH.010) which I have gradually upgraded over the years (new SSD, new HDD, new RAM, new CPU cooler and case fans). The video card has been overheating, and I am considering replacing it with an RTX 4060. This upgrade path seems interesting since that should be a performance boost for me, while consuming less power than the 2070. Obviously if there is a better graphics card for my use case that I have overlooked, I am definitely interested in hearing about it.

I have never done this before; should most dual fan 4060s fit in my case without much concern? Do I need to watch out for my (relatively) giant Noctua CPU cooler getting in the way? And should I be concerned about the downgrade in memory bus width (256 bit for the 2070, 128 bit for the 4060) or the fact that I am limited to PCIe 3.0? Finally, is there anything I haven't considered?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,783 Trailblazer

You need to measure your spaces inside your desktop, measure the RTX2070 and see the dimensions of the new RTX4060 if its the same. We can't advise you on if your rTX4060 will fit as you have yo do it yourself. Check if your existing PSU is adequate for the new RTX4060 gpu.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• KingofSwede
    KingofSwede Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you for your reply, I'll measure my 2070 and make sure what I can fit in my setup. Regarding the PSU, the maximum power requirements of the 4060 are significantly lower than that of the 2070, so power definitely won't be an issue.

Regarding my other question, will I be meaningfully impacted by the downgrade in memory bus width (256 bit for the 2070, versus 128 bit for the 4060) or the fact that I am limited to PCIe 3.0?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer

Not really, the extra performance in the 4000 series will more than make up for any potential loss

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.