Upgraded WiFi/BT M.2 module twice, both times wifi works but not BT in Helios PH317-52

Papajo
Papajo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 16 in Predator Laptops

So I have a Acer Predator Helios PH317-52.

I runs an Intel 8750H and the motherboard model is DH53F LA-F991P Rev 1.C

So I first tried to upgrade the m.2 wifi module with a Qualcomm QCNCM 865 WiFi 7 module

On windows 10 it didnt work at all, I upgraded (questionable use of the word) to windows 11 and it worked but only the wifi, no BT at all

Like there is not BT button in Quick settings, there is no bluetooth device(or unknown devices) in the device manager there is main bluetooth service in services.msc as far as I can see (and which ever exist either are enabled while all the aforementioned issues exist or are disabled and if I enable them nothing happens)

But because I harnessed this module from a Gigabyte PCIe x1 expansion card (GC-WIFI7) and there weren't any official drivers from Qualcomm for this particular module (thanks Qualcomm so professional) only some for previous iterations (wifi 6) and the only drivers I could find where for Gigabyte for the PCIe card that hosts this module I thought of it as a fluke.

Then I bought a Intel AX200 (WiFi 6) module… I downloaded the drivers directly from intel this time, there was a separate WiFi driver and a separate BT driver both installed successfully.

But again the same thing as in the screenshots above… I couldnt find any support email address from ACER whats going on though the fact that wifi works just fine tells me that its not a hardware issue but rather a software one …

Have you tried any WiFi 6 or 7 modules that work with this laptop ?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer

The Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 or any 6E or 7 cards don't work with your PH317-52 laptop as that is why you are having driver problems. The oem Acer fitted working card for the PH317-52 laptop is the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 type card, this is a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) type card with Bluetooth Version 5.1 and a Board Form Factor of M.2 2230, M.2 1216, Install the oem intended Acer PH317-52 WLAN and Bluetooth drivers with the Intel AC 9560 card provided by Acer for the PH317-52 laptop, as it will work 100%. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Papajo
    Papajo Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 16

I understand that they are different (although the AX200 keying is compatible, and the qualcomm has identical form factor) what I dont understand is why the WiFi works just fine.

I mean if it would be a matter of incompatible hardware form factor nothing should work, but their wifi works just fine.

Only the BT is the issue (which is kinda weird to me since within the M.2 module the same hardware handles Bluetooth AND wifi so its the same chip, one chip handling it both so WiFi working and Bluetooth not tells me its a driver related issue.

Look there is only one chip in there the rest is capacitors and whatnot, it's not like the WiFi chip works because it has its own chip and this chip is connected the "right" way in the m.2 slot and the separate bluetooth chip is not connected because its pins do not contact (and again ok the one in the picture is an E+A as the AX200 while the factory Acer one one has an E keying but the qualcomm one is an E key like the factory ac 9560 so the pinout is the identical)

And given that the Qualcomm one didnt work under windows 10 at all (not even wifi) and only under windows 11 I am pretty sure it's a software issue merely consisting of adding the right registry boolean values somewhere and maybe also slightly changing existing drivers.

M.2 essentially talk directly to the CPU with PCIe lanes, so this should be as trivial as changing GPU cards on a desktop.

I think (given also the right to repair act) ACER (if it's acer's fault and not a windows thing) should fix this with a bios update or something.