I left my Predator Sense running over night and noted that my cpu load % spiked

Megadeth
Megadeth Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited July 14 in Acer Software

Hey so, I left my Predator Sense running over night and noted that my CPU load % spiked on seemingly infrequent intervals but the temperature didn't change and the load % never stayed longer than a blip before returning to 1% or 0%. can someone give me an idea if this is normal or what may have caused this/protentional risks associated with it? I'd be very grateful thanks in advance

Best Answers

• EliThe2
    EliThe2 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓

It's normal, you have background processes being ran when your computer is on, most processes use ram and your CPU. I would be more worried about the 43% RAM usage. The RAM usage really isn't a problem windows uses that much ram fairly often depending on what's running when, but that's still fairly high. If you want to see what processes are happening go into task manager (right click an empty part of the taskbar to open it) click "More details" and watch your background processes (click on name to separate apps and background processes). You can click on "CPU" to see what's taking up your "CPU", "Memory" for RAM, and so on and so forth.

• EliThe2
    edited July 17 Answer ✓

Yes, bloatware tons of it. It's not a major issue though. I don't like limiting RAM usage as it could possibly cause problems. You can do other things, like clearing the RAM cache (click the performance tab on task manager and then memory to see how much is cached). I have my computer set up to automatically clear the cache every 5 minutes.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Defender will give spikes like that as it wakes up every once in a while to see if it needs to scan… It's pretty normal.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Megadeth

Tinkerer

if anyone is curious i popped back in and found another spike after sometime but it lasts only a second or two before dropping again i captured a screenshot this time

• EliThe2
    Answer ✓

It's normal, you have background processes being ran when your computer is on, most processes use ram and your CPU. I would be more worried about the 43% RAM usage. The RAM usage really isn't a problem windows uses that much ram fairly often depending on what's running when, but that's still fairly high. If you want to see what processes are happening go into task manager (right click an empty part of the taskbar to open it) click "More details" and watch your background processes (click on name to separate apps and background processes). You can click on "CPU" to see what's taking up your "CPU", "Memory" for RAM, and so on and so forth.

• Megadeth

Tinkerer

Thanks Eli! i did as you said there are a few things but it appears that steam was the app running the most seconded by windows defender i have a few small things running apparently (im guessing mostly preinstalled bloatware?) but i am curious if you would be able to recommend a program that would limit ram usuage. i use synapse but that's reall only during gaming thanks again man

• EliThe2
    edited July 17 Answer ✓

Yes, bloatware tons of it. It's not a major issue though. I don't like limiting RAM usage as it could possibly cause problems. You can do other things, like clearing the RAM cache (click the performance tab on task manager and then memory to see how much is cached). I have my computer set up to automatically clear the cache every 5 minutes.

• EliThe2

Here's some more useful information:
    (I can't edit the comment above for some weird reason)

On default, the RAM cache clears every time the computer is shut down. I also recommend restarting your computer once a day to delete some of the temp files that don't get deleted when you choose the "shut down" option. (I just restart my pc whenever I notice it slow down). Hopefully, all this advice will help you in the future!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Defender will give spikes like that as it wakes up every once in a while to see if it needs to scan… It's pretty normal.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Megadeth

Tinkerer

So grateful for the help gentlemen thanks so much i will definitely start doing so daily Eli and thanks for the clarity as well bill looking at the process that certainly would make sense since it seems to use a lot of memory thanks again guys!