What can I do to improve performance? on Acer Aspire XC-840

Pale_007
Pale_007 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi. I have the above mentioned Acer with LG 24” UltraGear™ Full HD display. The display is capable of doing 165 Hz but is working only at 60 Hz.

What can I do to improve performance?

With best regards

Pauli

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

What drive type do you have now? How much memory is installed? Which power supply do you have? Those models are really kind of tough to get running very fast. You will see the best performance with a SSD instead of HDD, with memory maxed out and with a very low power GPU card installed. The original power supply for systems without a discrete GPU was a 65W, for those with a GPU card added a 90W, so you only have 25W available for the GPU itself. The only card they shipped with was an NVIDIA GT720 DDRIII 2GB Low
    Profile. There are likely newer cards that could be used, but not many. Maybe a 1030 would fit in that power budget? To go any farther than that you really need a new system that's not the lowest end version available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

What drive type do you have now? How much memory is installed? Which power supply do you have? Those models are really kind of tough to get running very fast. You will see the best performance with a SSD instead of HDD, with memory maxed out and with a very low power GPU card installed. The original power supply for systems without a discrete GPU was a 65W, for those with a GPU card added a 90W, so you only have 25W available for the GPU itself. The only card they shipped with was an NVIDIA GT720 DDRIII 2GB Low
    Profile. There are likely newer cards that could be used, but not many. Maybe a 1030 would fit in that power budget? To go any farther than that you really need a new system that's not the lowest end version available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Megatron027
    Megatron027 Member Posts: 2 New User

The Intel Celeron N4505 processor that is in the Aspire XC-840 has built in Intel UHD graphics and according to Intel the maximum refresh rate is 60Hz

Intel Celeron Processor N4505 4M Cache up to 2.90 GHz Product Specifications

Like Billsey said you would need to purchase a more powerful PSU adapter and an extremely low profile discrete graphics card if you wanted a higher refresh rate matching your monitors performance. Due to the size factor of the XC-840 you will need to check that a discrete low profile GPU will fit in. Also as the other person asked about how much RAM and SSD you have. The XC-840 memory can be upgraded to 16GB DDR4 SODIMM as it has 2 slots. If you wish to upgrade the storage you can add a SATA SSD or HDD but you need a cable which connects to the motherboard.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder

@Megatron027

You can even try refresh and reset to improve performance

Try windows + r - run - type systemreset

It will show you keep my files, remove everything

You can try keep my files first and check the performance. It will remove all the apps.

You can try remove everything to reinstall windows. It will wipe out all data. Better take a backup and reinstall windows

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★