Trying to figure out Swift SFX14-41G laptop RAM, chips supposed to be 32GB

Options
ThatKguy
ThatKguy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 4 in Swift and Spin Series

So I've been trying to figure out what RAM is in my laptop. I want to try to upgrade it. For starters, yes it's soldered on and yes I know it's a massive pain and risky to try to upgrade BGA soldered chips. I have some experience working with them and I'm willing to accept the risks.

I have a Swift x14 from 2021.
Model: Swift SFX14-41G

Both windows and my BIOS says that I have 16GB of RAM.

I opened the case to take a better look and found the chips.

Looking at the chip model on the board, it's K4UBE3D4AA-MGCR.
https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/lpddr/lpddr4x/k4ube3d4aa-mgcr/
https://www.lcsc.com/datasheet/lcsc_datasheet_2310241557_Samsung-K4UBE3D4AA-MGCL_C2920257.pdf

The problem is that when you check out the data sheet for those chips, they're supposed to be 32GB each, but I don't have 128GB of RAM so what's going on here?

Are the chips purposefully mislabeled? Are they being artificially throttled somewhere?

Looking for anyone that might have some answers.

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,536 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Big difference between 32GB and 32Gb. :) Acer says only 8GB and 16GB are supported on the MB, so changing the 32Gb chips to 64Gb chips might not work, if they haven't populated all the address lines.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Big difference between 32GB and 32Gb. :) Acer says only 8GB and 16GB are supported on the MB, so changing the 32Gb chips to 64Gb chips might not work, if they haven't populated all the address lines.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ThatKguy
    ThatKguy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Oh I see! I was misunderstanding the semantics. I get it now. I guess my only other question would be, assuming they just didn't populate those lanes, would a 64Gb chip work, but still act as the 32Gb or would it not function at all?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,963 Pathfinder
    Options

@ThatKguy

Those chips are 4GB each: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005411294677.html

Upgrading those is nearly impossible because it will require modifying the motherboard component for the laptop to recognize new chips.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    Options

If, for some reason, they populated the extra address line on the motherboard, the 64Gb and 128Gb chips could potentially function. Theoretically the AMD Cezanne / Lucienne platform supports 64GB in total, but I believe that is expected to be four banks of 16GB each, and the motherboard only has one bank. My best guess is that putting 64Gb chips in replacement of the 32Gb chips will either not work at all, or be recognized by the system as 32Gb chips with the extra physical memory completely ignored. If they had designed the motherboard with places for four more chips on the other side from the existing four chips, then the upgrade would be to add four on, but you would likely have had to add support components such as resistors and capacitors too. Best is to leave it as is with 16GB and plan for a future system upgrade to a newer machine with more capacity.