CP513-1H-S60F wifi issues. Wifi works maybe reliably for about 10 minutes before having issues.

Options
djrichard64
djrichard64 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 29 in Chromebooks

I've been having wifi issues within the last month or so. Have been connecting ethernet via usb adapter but would like wifi to work again.

Wifi works maybe reliably for about 10 minutes before having issues.

• Sometimes see error message on wifi configuration screen that says "error configuring network"
  • Othertimes see error message from ChromeOS saying "network connection error" "Failed to connect to network ... Unrecognized error: unknown-failure"

This happens when connecting to my home wifi as well as my cell phone wifi. It used to work fine with both. I had the cell phone as a connected device for the chromebook.

I tried using a plug-and-play usb wifi, but can't seem to use it to override the embedded wifi.

Thanks for any help!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• djrichard64
    edited June 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Got it to work with a usb wifi adapter which uses an RT5370 chipset. The first usb wifi adapter I was using wasn't using that chip set.

Also I can tell it's using the usb wifi (with RT5370) and not the internal wifi. I disconnected the internal wifi antenna from the pins/bosses on the chipset/motherboard - so that it can only see my house wifi. But when I added the usb wifi, then I could see the neighbors wifi as well.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,581 Pathfinder
    Options

Enable Network Sharing on Chromebook

Network sharing allows multiple users to access and use a single network connection. This can be particularly useful in environments where multiple users need to connect to the same network. Here’s how you can enable it on your Chromebook:

1. Access Network settings: Click on the time located at the bottom right corner of your screen to open the status area. Click on the Wi-Fi icon or the network you’re connected to.

2. Go to Network Options: Find the network you’re connected to or want to connect to and click on the network’s name.

3. Enable Sharing: Inside the network settings, look for an option that says “Allow other users to use this connection” or a similar phrase. Toggle or check the box next to this option.

4. Save and exit: After enabling network sharing, save any changes if there’s an option to do so, and then exit the network settings.

5. Reconnect (optional): If needed, disconnect from the network and then reconnect to apply the new settings.

6. Test on another profile: Switch to another user profile on the Chromebook to ensure the shared network can be accessed without re-entering the password.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

That doesn't seem to answer the question, network sharing is for using the Chromebook as a hotspot.

Your Chromebook uses a Qualcomm WCN3991 chipset for the WiFi. It's directly soldered to the motherboard, so if the module itself is the problem a motherboard replacement would be required to fix it. We have seen reports of flaky WiFi with the latest ChomeOS, but with other module brands. I wonder if Google has done something more basic that is mucking with networking?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • djrichard64
    edited June 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Got it to work with a usb wifi adapter which uses an RT5370 chipset. The first usb wifi adapter I was using wasn't using that chip set.

Also I can tell it's using the usb wifi (with RT5370) and not the internal wifi. I disconnected the internal wifi antenna from the pins/bosses on the chipset/motherboard - so that it can only see my house wifi. But when I added the usb wifi, then I could see the neighbors wifi as well.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

So it sounds like the WCN3991 module went bad. That's really unusual, but certainly possible.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.