Unable to connect monitors with three PC's, KVM switch/Docking station on Aspire TC 1780 (Desktop)

Options
Ms_Chilli
Ms_Chilli Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

I have an Aspire TC 1780 (Desktop)

Lenovo Thinkpad (Work)

ASUS ZenBook Laptop (Personal)

I have a docking station (Wavlink USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station - UPC - 069553620455) that allows me to connect to two monitors.

I recently purchased a camgeet KVM switch KCEVE Model Number KC-KVM302AS which I've not been able to get to work other than one PC even though it is supposed to connect to three pcs. (I tried to get an IT expert to come and set up but everybody I contacted said it wasn't within their scope of works 😫- I've even been in contact with the suppliers of the KVM and they have offered to do a video call, but they've said my connections were correct and they are in China so time difference etc makes me not want to do a call)

Even if I try to connect my DT to my Wavlink - it is not recognizing input (my other two laptops have no issue) On other thread, I saw that TC-1780 models do not have support for DP Alt Mode on their USB-C ports and that the cheap docks that require DP Alt Mode will not work (response from Billsey).

I need some assistance on what I can do to enable me to connect to my monitors with all three PC's, either through a KVM switch or Docking Station (if I have to keep on changing a cable to select each PC, so be it. I've already spent money on stuff that doesn't appear to work, so can anybody recommend a pieces of kit that I can get in the UK that are likely to work and you don't need technical experience to set up and maybe a few options across the price range. Otherwise I have a redundant desktop! 😀

Any advice is gratefully received.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

I believe that model requires DP Alt Mode on the USB-C port, which is typically supported on laptops and not on desktops. The TC-1780 does not support it. To run video off USB on the TC-1780 you need a docking station that generates it's own video, like the USB 3.0 and more expensive USB-C docks do.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ms_Chilli
    Ms_Chilli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

My current docking station looks to be a 3.0 version - Wavlink USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,442 Trailblazer
    Options

And it uses a USB-A connector, not a USB-C? There should be a model number, like WL-UG39DK4. If it actually is a USB 3.0 then it likely needs drivers to do video. When I go to their website, I see 56 different docking stations. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.