HDMI stopped working on my Swift Edge 16 when connected by an external monitor via an HDMI cable.

Options
UncleMike987
UncleMike987 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 22 in Swift and Spin Series

I've owned a Swift Edge 16 for the past two months, and it's always worked perfectly with my external monitor, connected via an HDMI cable.

This morning, nothing. Windows 11 completely doesn't believe that I have the monitor attached. If I try to attach to the monitor via a USB-C dongle, same thing.

If I connect an alternative laptop using the same HDMI cable, my monitor works perfectly.

Windows hasn't installed any updates on my Swift Edge since yesterday, nothing has changed.

Is this a faulty laptop, or can anyone suggest what I can check?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 330
    Options

Check your HDMI ports. You need to check if the HDMI ports of your Windows System and other HDMI device are in good and working condition. Dust inside it or corrupted HDMI ports might cause the error that restricts your HDMI to work on the Windows system properly. Ensure that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both your computer's port (or motherboard's HDMI port, if available) and your monitor's HDMI input port. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to ensure a proper connection (or) check again with a different HDMI Cable.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options

Do a Windows-P and make sure you aren't set to internal display only…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • UncleMike987
    UncleMike987 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Yeah, I tried that… it said there were no other displays available.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,386 Trailblazer
    Options

The HDMI port and the USB-C port are usually on different circuits, so it's probably not hardware. You don't say what model of Swift Edge 16 you have, and there have been several different ones over the years. I'm just guessing that you likely have an SFE16-43. On those the USB-C ports are actually the AMD specific USB4, so they are a little different hardware-wise than the Intel USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports. Try booting in safe mode to see if it still happens…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.