Is there any way to get the Sound Driver (ALC712) working on my Acer Swift SFG14-72 laptop under Lin

eskvaer
eskvaer Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Acer Swift SFG14-72 laptop. Under Windows, I use the Sound Driver (ALC712) for audio. Is there any chance that Linux supports this chipset? Unfortunately, it is currently not detected by Ubuntu

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

You are just a little too new for the full Linux support. They typically take a year or so to get all drivers supported and your laptop design is less than a year old. Unless you want to delve into doing the port yourself, you will just have to wait for them to get it done…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sebastian89n
    sebastian89n Member Posts: 1 New User

Yeah, that's unfortunate. And Acer doesn't offer any support in that regard. It's probably my last Acer laptop.

Anyway, in order for soundcard to get recognized you can use the following workaround:

1. Edit /etc/default/grub and add snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 at the end in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
    2. Reload grub(e.g. Fedora command): sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2.cfg
    3. sudo dnf install pavu-control
    4. Reboot

After rebooting open pavu-control and in Configuration select Profile with Pro Audio something.

This will make your soundcard visible at least and you can connect to bluetooth speakers.

Bullt-in speakers still doesn't work, probably missing some other drivers.

I have the same laptop and for me at least it helped with the soundcard on Fedora 40 Workstation.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

Support will likely come over the next few months, it typically takes about a year to get all the new hardware going in a Linux environment. Since Acer doesn't offer the product with Linux installed they don't feel any need to task the component vendors with faster results.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eskvaer
    eskvaer Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 5

Sure, here's the revised text:
    Thanks, but when it comes to the Google Nest Audio, it's working perfectly fine via Bluetooth connection. I didn't need to go through the steps you described. I attempted to connect the JBL Bluetooth speakers, but it was unsuccessful. What I did was simply purchase a USB audio card or hub with audio for now.

I wanted to remind you that the internal speakers are still not working. It's disappointing.