Laptop all of a sudden maxing out on every game. Its a Nitro 5 AN-515-57-71RC

Options
grappa
grappa Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 18 in Nitro Gaming

Hey, recently, my laptop (Acer Nitro 5) has been dropping in performance heavily recently. I have a 3060 laptop gpu and a i7-11th gen. For like the first 6 months i got the laptop, ive been running a smooth 100-110 fps in games like siege, gta5, and pretty much everything. Until just recently where my fps just dropped alot. Now im getting like 40 fps and 50 if am lucky. And its not just one game, its everything. At first i thought it was just a single game issue. Then I quickly realized It wasnt. I decided to watch a video on how to fix fps issue on siege and the tutorial said to tweak some settings in the nvidia 3d display and what not. But all that did was make it worst. I tried restoring from a restore point and that did nothing. I got so fed up that I completely reset my PC but that still did nothing. So am starting to think its a hardware issue but I dont really know where to start. Also i forgot to mention but in every game my gpu maxes out to 100% but whenever am just watching videos on youtube or got discord open, it goes back to like 1% usage.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• PlayerGab
    PlayerGab Member Posts: 77 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 17
    Options

Hello, @grappa. It's a pleasure to help you and I hope you find my tips useful. I'll teach you how to perform completely safe optimizations and some diagnostic steps that can prevent and easily identify any performance issues your system may be experiencing at the moment. With these steps, we can check whether your problem is not only related to the system itself, but also to the hardware (which I don't expect to be the case).

1. Preventing the accidental downgrade of your drivers by the Windows Update:
      Start Menu > type "Update" > select "Advanced Settings of Windows Update" > Pause Updates > Select a date.
    2. Checking your operating system files:
      Start Menu > type "CMD" (open as Administrator) > type (always without quotes): "sfc /scannow" > Press Enter > Wait for it to finish > type "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" > Press Enter > Wait > Close > Restart the Computer.
    3. Disabling Automatic Startup Programs:
      Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc > Startup Tab > Disable all programs that are not related to audio, graphics, or Windows Defender or any other program you consider useful. This will not uninstall the programs, it will just prevent them from starting with the system (which can slow it down).
    4. Disabling the use of useless System Services:
      There is a list of system services that consume unnecessary machine resources in the background, and that are enabled by default on most devices (or in any standard Windows installation). To disable these services, or at least most of them: Press Win + R > Type "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter > Filter the Services by name. The list of services to disable (in the vast majority of cases) is: Parental Controls
      Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
      Fax
      Xbox Live Authentication Manager (unless you use the Xbox apps)
      Downloaded Maps Manager
      NFC/SE and Payments Manager
      OpenSSH Authentication Agent
      Remote Registration
      Routing and Remote Access
      Xbox Live Game Saves
      Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service
      Spatial Data Service
      Retail Demo Service
      Geolocation Service (unless you track your computer);
      Windows Perception Service
      Xbox Live Networking Service
      Sensor Service
      Windows Perception Simulation Service
      Telephony Service
      Windows Insider Service (unless you're part of the Windows Insider program)
      Shared PC Account Manager
      WalletService
      Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Service
      Xbox Accessory Management Service.
      (To disable, press Enter on the service, select "Disabled" in Startup Type, and if the Service is Running, click Stop and Ok). Additionally, all the services related to the update of some applications can be set to "Manual", and that includes Google, Edge, Firefox, and other ones.
    5. Disabling Useless Graphic Effects:
      This tip is optional. But to optimize your system's graphic performance without necessarily making it look uglier, open the Start Menu, type "Performance", and select "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows". In the window that opens, check the "Adjust for best performance" option (this should uncheck all the boxes below). After that, check the last three boxes again, and the ones that say "Show window contents when dragging" and "Show thumbnails instead of icons". Just apply, but don't exit yet…
    6. Reducing the Paging File to the Necessary Size: This tip is also optional, but it helps save disk space being used by Windows. In the window that opened in the previous step… > exit the "Visual Effects" tab and go to the "Advanced" tab > Under "Virtual Memory", click "Change". > Uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file size…" box > Select "Custom Size".
      The current Paging File (before this adjustment) should be the same size as your available RAM, in megabytes. However, this size is not necessary in most scenarios and can be reduced. In Initial Size, set it to up to 307mb (for up to 4GB RAM), 614mb (up to 8GB RAM), and up to 1024mb (for 12GB RAM or more). In Maximum Size, set it to up to three times the previous value (921mb, 1832mb, or 3096mb, respectively). For the maximum size, you can also consider the recommended value a little further down the screen, plus 500 to 1000mb, or the value itself. Click Ok. Reboot your system.
    7. Uninstalling useless programs: Look for two free tools online: Revo Uninstaller and Defraggler (the first one exists in a Portable version, which does not require installation). With Revo, uninstall all applications that you consider useless that are already installed on your Windows (in the top "Windows Apps" button, double-click on all useless tools, "Weather", for example); uncheck the option to create a restore point, Continue, Verify, Select All (Registry leftovers), Delete, OK, Select All (File leftovers, if any), Delete, OK.
      After doing this with all the useless apps, close Revo Uninstaller. Open Defraggler, and check/analyze the Windows disk. If the fragmentation level is below 10-15%, or below 20 thousand file fragments, there is no need to do anything. Otherwise, defragment the disk (even if it is an SSD, and ignore the message that appears about the disk's useful life, because modern SSDs come from the factory with read and write capacities in the order of petabytes).
    8. Safe but Efficient Power Settings:
      In the Start Menu, type "Power" and select "Edit power plan" > Choose the times for turning off the display and suspending computer activities as you prefer, or choose Never for all fields > Save the changes and this window will close > In the window that opens, on the left in the blue letters, select "Choose what the lid closes to do" > For the "When I close the lid" functions, select "Do nothing" in both fields. > Still on the same screen, select the administrative option at the top: "Change settings that are currently unavailable". The checkboxes below will become available. If your notebook uses an SSD, uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup" (which prevents your notebook from shutting down completely). If it uses an HDD, you can leave it checked if you want.
    9. Bonus gaming performance tip: Use Vulkan in all your DirectX 9.0, 10 or 11 games, via DXVK (I can teach you how to configure and install it later).

• grappa
    Options

Hey @PlayerGab am still on the defragger step. For some reason its taking alot of time for some reason, I just want to know if i keep it running or do I skip it for now and do the other steps. Its been almost a hour now and its just on 2%.

• PlayerGab
    Options

Sorry for my late reply, but you can skip this step and leave it for the end. That's okay. What this step does is organize the files on your hard drive so that it's easier for your storage controller to find the files it needs and your system runs faster.

• grappa
    Options

Alright, I've done every step.(Except the defragmenting step) Unfortunately im still running like 10 fps on GTA 5. Is there anything else I can try to do that could maybe work. Also I probably won't respond until tomorrow, as it's pretty late where I'm at right now.

• PlayerGab
    Options

Ok. If you did all the steps, does it mean that you also tried to install DXVK? If this is the case, and your performance didn't improve, you will have to try to check your drivers in the system once again, and after this, i teach how to set up DXVK. Do you remember that, in the first step, we tried to prevent Windows Update from installing outdated drivers on your system? Well, now we need to check if your drivers are up to date yet.
    According to the NVIDIA website, the latest driver Gamer Ready for your GPU is 555.99, June 4, 2024. Press Win + X, go to "Devices Manager", then Graphics Adapter > Then press Alt + Enter in RTX 3060. Check the driver version. If it's different, download the newer version in Nvidia website, and install it (with Windows Update paused).