Is it safe to use an older acer nitro 5 (AN515-55) hard drive to a new acer AN515-58?

Options
Spectre90
Spectre90 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 14 in Nitro Gaming

Hi,

My old acer nitro 5 (AN515-55) that had a motherboard fried looked around for replacement but only found them a bit pricey (it had other issues mainly keyboard wearing and plastic case cracking) so decided to get a new one (now AN515-58).

My question is, if I take the SDD card out from the old laptop and put it in with the new laptop, is it ok to do so?

And I have installed some software on the new laptop already, will the SDD conflict with each other same applications?

Or should I wipe the new laptop clean then put the old SDD in with the new one to add storage space.

Thanks in advance

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,569 Trailblazer
    Options

You have two M.2 NVMe Gen 4 slots for a superfast Samsung 990 Pro (without heatsink), installing a NVMe Gen3 SSD from the AN515-55 laptop that has two PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD will half the potential speed of the AN515-58. If you have a NVMe Gen4 SSD in the old laptop, no issues but the latest NVMe Samsung 990 Pro SSD will still be a lot faster.

• Spectre90
    Options

so it's NOT reconmended to put in the my old laptop SDD into the empty slot of the new Laptop, I didnt want to straight up throw out my old laptop, even though it's not working anymore; I thought I could reuse its SSD Card to add more storage space for the new laptop. I was hoping to use the old SDD card as a gaming storage as a :/D drive or something.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,363 Trailblazer
    Options

Clone the old Nitro AN515-57 laptops M.2 SSD drive onto the new AN515-58 M.2 SSD boot drive as the two OSs are the same which are Win 11- Home and they will work. Then you can add that software that you added to the new AN515-58 laptop onto the cloned drive.

Note: that the new Nitro AN515-58 has a Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD boot drive that is 100% faster than the old AN515-57 Gen 3x4 M.2 SSD boot drive. The above method is the simplest way to do what you want to do. If your Nitro AN515-58 uses Westen Digital Gen 4x4 M.2 SSD boot drive use the Acronis True Image for Western Digital cloning software which is recommended cloning software for Western Digital drives, also if its a different manufacturer then always use their recommended cloning softwires to clone their drives. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Spectre90
    edited June 14
    Options

According to the BIOs on the new laptop it uses a Micron_3400 and my old one uses Westren Digital so don't think it'll work. I should find an alternative way to extract the stuff from my old SSD like using it as an external USB

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,363 Trailblazer
    Options

The Micron 3400 M.2 SSD do not have cloning software. If you want to clone your Micron SSD, you have to use professional cloning software like EaseUS or Disk Copy, so use that to clone the old WD M.2 SSD onto the Micron 3400 M.2 SSD drive, its a very simple process and it works 100%. Good luck

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍