Fresh install can't add drivers to Windows 11 USB & no access to a Windows computer Nitro 5 an515-58

Options
frustrated994
frustrated994 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 14 in Nitro Gaming

I have a blank NVMe right now and I'm trying to install Windows 11 Home; however, there are no drivers available and I don't have access to a Windows machine to use Microsoft's DISM. I cannot use the touchpad and the installation will not recognize the NVMe drive.

I have a Linux thumbdrive I'm using and can easily install Linux, which I've done and tried to inject the drivers onto the USB, but nothing worked.

Is there a reinstallation ISO for my laptop with?

Specs:

Model: Acer Nitro 5 an515-58
CPU: Intel i5-12450H
GPU: nVidia 3050 ti 4GB
NVMe: Micron

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,510 Pathfinder
    Options

Just install windows using USB and after installation then install driver from Acer website or windows update.

Don't make thing complicated while installing driver on windows USB.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • frustrated994
    frustrated994 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 14
    Options

That's the problem, I can't install using a USB because the Windows 11 ISO did not come with the drivers to see my hard drive or use my wireless (so Windows can download the drivers).

I figured it out, after 6 hours of frustration and I'm leaving this here for someone who might run into this problem later:

1. Install gparted (if it's not already present)
    2. Select the thumbdrive, in my case: /dev/sda
    3. Create a new GPT partition table (not msdos)
    4. Use gparted to make 2 partitions on the USB thumbdrive
      1. BOOT - 1024MB in size, FAT32
      2. INSTALL - the rest of the drive, NTFS
    5. I mounted the Windows 11 ISO (mount -o loop /path/to/iso /home/user/temp)
    6. Copied everything but the "source" folder to the BOOT partition
    7. Created a "source" folder on the BOOT partition and then copied over boot.wim from the Windows 11 ISO source folder
    8. Copied everything onto the INSTALL partition
    9. Went to the Acer AN515-58 support site and download the drivers for the Touchpad, Intel drive hardware and Killer Wireless Internet
    10. Created a folder called DRIVERS on the INSTALL partition
    11. Unzipped the 3 zip files and copied over the INF and CAT files to the DRIVERS folder on the INSTALL partition
    12. Rebooted and hit F12 for the boot menu
    13. Followed the prompts to do a Custom Install
    14. Hit tab until "Browse for Drivers" is underlined, hit ENTER
    15. Navigate to INSTALL\DRIVERS\ and hit ENTER
    16. Load the applicable drivers and finish the installation routine

It would be much easier if Acer released an ISO image for their laptops.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,510 Pathfinder
    Options

So main problem is you are not able to see or select hard drive while installation, right?

You should told About this before instead of saying about drivers which has nithing to do with it

To see your hard drive you need to create Bootable USB using Rufus software in GPT PARTITION .

(Just get iso from microsoft and insert pen drive then open Rufus app, select iso and pen drive then select Partion Scheme to GPT And Click on start ) like shown in below image

This easy method and take 2-3min. Gpt partition is needed for new laptops doesn't matter if it's from Acer or from another company

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566