Acer Nitro V15 restore RST drivers/VMD controller

Options
Rocketpsiance
Rocketpsiance Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, I'm a bit of a computer hobbyist and decided to install Linux on my Acer Nitro V 15. I went to go back to Windows, and found several articles on why the SSD was not showing during Windows 11 installation. Those led to articles on extracting RST drives and turning off VMD in BIOS, both solutions I've tried. My SSD is still not showing up during a fresh installation of Windows. Can anyone help?

Answers

• Rocketpsiance

Tinkerer

Options

As an update diskpart was able to see the disk so I partitioned it and assigned a drive letter, but the installation program still would not recognize the disk as present.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,736 Trailblazer
    edited June 10
    Options

If you are doing a new Win-11 Clean Install then you need to put the unzipped IRST driver for your Nitro V15 laptop (ANV15-41 or 51 whatever it is, as just saying Nitro V15 means nothing, anyway whatever the model is. So as an example, the IRST driver for the Nitro ANV15-51 laptop is the version 19.5.1.1040 that is at the Acer Support page for the Nitro ANV15-51 laptop.

So put this unzipped folder onto the Win-11 installation USB drive and when you get to the Win-11 installation section of "Where do you want to install Windows? > Load driver" then you load this IRST driver and this should make the windows installation recognize your boot drive and you will be able to continue the Win-11 installation, its a very simple process and it should work after a Linux installation/format etc etc, otherwise and if it doesn't then your m.2 SSD boot drive is damaged and needs to be replaced, those are the two options you have as there are NO other options to make the boot drive to be recognized in a clean install of the Win-11 installation. Good luck and hope this helps'

This is the Win-11 section where you need to load the IRST driver @ Load driver:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Rocketpsiance

Tinkerer

Options

Well regardless of the drivers being present on the USB I used to attempt installing Windows 11, I don't think this necessarily means damage to the NVME M.2 because I am running Linux without issue. I am receiving the same error in Virtualbox when trying to install VM's, which suggests it is a Windows Installation issue specific to this Western Digital drive. Thanks for the response.

• Rocketpsiance

Tinkerer

edited June 11
    Options

This is what I see when I try (and model#). Note enabling VMD, GNC device support, VTX and VTD affects being able to see the drivers at all.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,736 Trailblazer
    edited June 11
    Options

I've been using this same WD SN740 M.2 Gen 4x4 drive since it was released by WD and now its installed in my Swift X SFX14-51G laptop (as this laptop came oem from Acer with a 1TB SN540 PCIe3x4 M.2 drive and its got a Gen 4x4 M.2 boot slot drive) then I did a clean install of Win-11 onto this drive and used the Swift X SFX14-51G laptops IRST version 19.0.1022.0 that is for this laptop and it worked perfectly and recognized the M.2 SSD drive, I've also used this same WD SN740 M.2 SSD drive on a Nitro 5 AN515-56 laptop (that is only a PCIe3x4 M.2) and used the Nitro laptops Intel RST driver version 18.4.0.1000 and it recognized the drive 100%, as both of the different IRST drivers worked 100% and recognized this WD SN740 Gen 4x4 M.2 SSD fully and worked 100% with these two different laptops with Win-11 Home 23H2 version.

It could be that having Linux OS installed on this laptop could affect the Intel RST driver from installing into your laptop. Maybe an update for your Nitro ANV15-51 bios to version 1.10 would fix this problem or a low power mode issue, as that should not be happening. I suggest that if you can't resolve this problem that you take your laptop to Acer support and get them to fix it. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Rocketpsiance

Tinkerer

Options

Just because it does for you doesn't mean it will for others. The issue was a corrupted iso. I have confirmed that with virtualbox and am now trying to update my media with a new iso.