Aspire TC-1780-EB11 upgrade capabilities

verge
verge Member Posts: 1 New User

Purchased an Aspire TC-1780-EB11 recently for general use, but I'm now looking at upgrading it somewhat to make it capable of gaming. Looking online, I can't seem to find all that much about its internal hardware.

Here is everything I am wondering:
- Can the PSU be swapped, and what form factor PSU would I have to swap it with?
- Does the motherboard have proprietary power connections?
- What is the CPU cooler & GPU clearance?
- Can any (that fits in the case) LGA 1700 CPU cooler fit on the motherboard?
- How many available SATA and M2 slots are there on the motherboard?
- What are some of the best SSDs and RAM compatible with the motherboard?
- Is there a labelled picture of the motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer

Acer shipped those with one of three different power supplies, a 300W, a 400W and a 500W. The design is an ATX12VO single rail supply so there aren't many options to increase the power beyond those. Here's the motherboard:

Note a few things… #4 and #18 are system power, #4 is the main power with the power enable line, #18 provides extra amperage to the PCIe slot for a GPU. I believe the power supplies themselves also have a connector for extra GPU power, but that is determined by which supply you have. #9 is an M.2 slot for a SSD, #7 are three SATA ports. #6 are power connectors to provide voltages for the SATA drives. Each of those has connections for two SATA drives. Take a look at the threads in the gaming desktops section for info on the Noctua CPU cooling system that people are using on the PO3 series of gaming rigs. That will be what fits best in this case.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.