psu is making loud noises P03-600 PSU DC.5001B.004

Options
kslibra
kslibra Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited May 30 in Predator Desktops

My PSU has died and all I can find is one at eBay for about $170. I'm retired. I can't afford that and I'm in tears. My sister has a Nitro she bought a couple of months after I bought mine and her psu is making loud noises...same battery. She's also retired. What are our choices?

BTW, I've an i5 and she has an i7.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• kslibra

Tinkerer

Options

Does this look like a 12VO?

• kslibra

Tinkerer

Options

From the PDF manual

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,345 Trailblazer
    Options

The PSU for the PO3-600 models is a standard ATX type, so you can pick up almost any third party supply and it will work. Be sure to get one that's at least 500W, as your original supply was. They didn't start using the ATX12VO supplies until the next year.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kslibra

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you so much! I was on here a few weeks ago and was told it was a 12vo in no uncertain terms. Freaked me out so much I didn't even pursue it. Today I looked at my PC with fresh eyes and felt there was no way it could be 12vo. But wanted to make sure.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,345 Trailblazer
    Options

Yeah, you have the 24 pin connector from the PSU, not the 6 pin used on the 12VO designs.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wilso_awan22
    wilso_awan22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I understand this situation is frustrating, especially since a new PSU is a necessity to get your computer functioning again. Here are some options to consider that might be more affordable than a $170 eBay listing:

Finding a More Affordable PSU:

• Check Other Online Retailers: While eBay can be a source for used parts, consider searching for refurbished PSUs from reputable online computer parts retailers. These might offer better warranties and potentially lower prices than the one you found on eBay.
    • Local Computer Repair Shops: Look for local computer repair shops in your area. They might have used or refurbished PSUs available at a lower cost than online options. They can also help you ensure compatibility with your specific system.
    • PSU Wattage Requirements: Knowing the wattage requirement for your system is crucial. Look up your computer's model number or consult your motherboard manual to determine the minimum recommended wattage for your PSU. Don't get a lower wattage PSU than what your system needs.
    • Consider Lower Wattage Options: While your sister has an i7 and you have an i5, the difference in processor power consumption might not be significant. If your current PSU has enough wattage for your i5 and other components, you could potentially look for a similarly-rated PSU replacement.

Alternative Solutions:

• See if a Friend Can Help: Perhaps a friend who is tech-savvy might have a spare PSU they'd be willing to lend or sell you at a reasonable price.
    • Explore Community Support: Some online communities or forums dedicated to computer repair might have users willing to donate or sell used PSUs at a lower cost.
    • Consider Upgrading Together: If your sister's noisy PSU is also failing, you could potentially explore upgrading both PSUs together. This might allow you to negotiate a better price when buying two PSUs from a retailer.

Additional Tips:

• Double-check the diagnosis: Before replacing the PSU, try troubleshooting other potential causes of the problem. Remove unnecessary peripherals, reseat RAM modules, and check for loose connections.
    • Borrow a PSU for Temporary Fix: If someone you know has a compatible PSU, see if you can borrow it temporarily to get your computer back online while you search for a permanent replacement.