Acer Veriton X4660G, the fan is still spinning after the computer shuts down

EmonGwapito
EmonGwapito Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Acer Veriton X4660G, the fan still spins after the computer shuts down. I google and tried some troubleshooting like turning off all the features in power management bios, turning off the hibernation, and turning off the fast start-up, but I still have the same issue.

I even updated the bios to the latest version.

Thanks in advance to the people who could help.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Microsoft disables hibernate by default and enables fast startup. That is because they believe fast startup to be faster than recovering from hibernation, not a recommendation to have things set one way or another. If you set it to hibernate you are better protected for a power outage when the machine is not in use, since it will start from where you left off when turned back on. If you have fast startup set instead and the power goes away, you will boot into the regular Windows without any of your apps still up and running. Not a big issue either way. I use hibernation on my desktops and on the laptop for when it's running on battery and I close the case.

Now, as to your problem… You very likely have an app that doesn't want to shut down and that's why the fan is still spinning, but there is also the possibility that you have a hardware issue in the powerup circuit. Try booting in safe mode to see if it will do a normal shutdown from there. If it does we know it's software, if the fan stays running then it's more likely hardware.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey

Leave hibernation on, it doesn't affect your issue. Fast Startup will, as will Wake on LAN. Most often though it's an app that doesn't respond to a shutdown well. How are you doing the shutdown? Are you sure you are not just going into a sleep mode?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • EmonGwapito

Tinkerer

Wake on lan is off in bios. I shut it down as per normal (click start button and then shut down). My keyboard and mouse will lost it's power as the light goes off and my monitor turns black. But I saw that the lan cable at the back of the computer has still a green light and all the fans are still spinning.

• billsey

The LAN cable will stay lit in normal circumstances, I wonder if they run the fans until the heat has dissipated? Do they turn off after a while?

• EmonGwapito

Tinkerer

The longest time that I let it run and wait is around 10-15 mins. I even bought a wifi card I received the same results.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,519 Trailblazer
    edited May 22

Hibernate affects suspending and Modern Standby protocol (Sleep mode), Microsoft recommends for Windows10-11 to disable Hibernate (Fast Startup will then be disabled automatically). When a laptop is not completely shut down, cooling will continue for a while till the system switches to hibernate mode (don't know how long that takes). Check the Problem reports in Reliability History if there is a "Critical Event > Windows was not properly shut down" message.

• EmonGwapito

Tinkerer

Hibernate is off as well as the fast startup. There is no reports with regards to shut down

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,557 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Have you cleaned the fan and the vents ?

How hot is the environment ?

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Microsoft disables hibernate by default and enables fast startup. That is because they believe fast startup to be faster than recovering from hibernation, not a recommendation to have things set one way or another. If you set it to hibernate you are better protected for a power outage when the machine is not in use, since it will start from where you left off when turned back on. If you have fast startup set instead and the power goes away, you will boot into the regular Windows without any of your apps still up and running. Not a big issue either way. I use hibernation on my desktops and on the laptop for when it's running on battery and I close the case.

Now, as to your problem… You very likely have an app that doesn't want to shut down and that's why the fan is still spinning, but there is also the possibility that you have a hardware issue in the powerup circuit. Try booting in safe mode to see if it will do a normal shutdown from there. If it does we know it's software, if the fan stays running then it's more likely hardware.

• EmonGwapito

Tinkerer

Thanks mate I finally fixed it. I troubleshoot the hardware and found out that the thing that was causing it was the switches in the motherboard specifically the HDD lights. I take it off from the mobo. Now, all the fans turn off when I shutdown my pc.