Acer Predator Triton 500 (PT515-51) Fans running bananas back/forth

ArpieArp
ArpieArp Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited May 15 in Predator Desktops

ISSUE:

My fans are going bananas - start to run at very high speed - about 20 times each day - apparently for no reason (I am aware of).

The only way Ive find to stop it is to open Predator Sense Interface and toggle between "Automatic" and "Persononalised/Customised" - which keep it normal/calm for 30-60min.

INFO:

• I mostly only work with MS Word + browsing so it cant be overloaded

• The issue are consistent regardless of outer temperature

• Laptop: Acer Predator Triton 500 (PT515-51)

Appreciate any tip about what might be going on.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,995 Trailblazer

In AcerSense or Acer Quick Access there is a setting to control the fan speed, Silent Mode will keep the fans from running frequently.

• ArpieArp

Tinkerer

edited May 16

Regardless of setting in Sense, the issue remain, please read the post. Sense is what you see in the screenshots (in Sense, the "Persononalised/Customised" option is set low, but doesnt fix the issue).

Quick access in my laptop does not have the setting you suggest.

• ArpieArp

Tinkerer

Anyone knows anything about this?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

Cool Boost should trigger the fans to run at a higher speed to keep things cooler, which might change the thresholds enough to keep it from cycling between two fan speeds.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ArpieArp

Tinkerer

Im sure these suggestions are well meant, however it seems to come from people that have no clue about the actual issue and coem with long shots.

Anyone that actually know what Im talking about here? that have solved it IRL?

Could it for example be due to dirt/dust deposits inside? how often should you clean a laptop and how do you do it?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

The fan speed cycling is due to the thresholds used by the fan tables. Fan speed isn't controlled directly off CPU temperature but using a table to toggle different speeds. For your PT515-51 (not a desktop BTW), here are the standard tables for yours:

Those tables are tweaked by the settings in Predator Sense. So, if your CPU temperature is moving between 64 and 71 going up the CPU fans will increase to 3100RPM and 3800RPM as you pass 71C, then drop back to 2900 and 3400 when at 64C on the way back down. If that is what you are experiencing, then the tweaks in PS can change where the speed change happens, which can change the frequency of the changes, from often to less often.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.