Install Linux on a Nitro AN515-46-R5XN: Can't Switch SATA to AHCI

good2epic
good2epic Member Posts: 2 New User

I just bought a 2022 Nitro with the Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti GPU to use for developing an ML capability I'm hoping to leverage as a piece of value in a new business. I'm trying to install linux to I can leverage open source code easily and do my ML dev not in the nightmare environment that is windows.

Key first step seems to be switching the SATA mode to AHCI. I have no SATA mode in my BIOS. Ctrl-S when in the Main tab just reveals a trackpad option. If I go into msconfig and boot to safe mode, same thing. Is there any way to switch my SATA mode? Do I need to? If I create a second partition that takes up 99.9% of the available space will it let me install linux there? I'm having trouble imagining how I could switch SATA modes there…

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

The AN515-46 is an AMD based system, so no need to switch. Switching is required for Intel based systems, since the IRST (lately VHD) features require a driver that isn't distributed with Linux or Windows.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.