Keyboard backlight issue. backlighting of my keyboard hasn't been working since PredatorSense update

Danielebo
Danielebo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 9 in Predator Laptops

The backlighting of my keyboard hasn't been working since the PredatorSense update. How can I fix this? If I press the Fn+F12 combination, the brightness isn't increased. The only way to illuminate the keyboard is to open the PredatorSense app, then go to Scenario and Pulsar Illumination. As soon as I open this screen, the keyboard lights up for half a second and then turns off. When I click on Illumination Control > Area > Per-Area Control, it lights up, and I can change the intensity or color. In this case, the Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 combinations work. When I exit this screen, the issue reoccurs.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• ShortsFareed
    ShortsFareed Member Posts: 2 Newbie

It sounds like the PredatorSense update may have caused some issues with the keyboard backlighting settings. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Reinstall PredatorSense: Uninstall the current version of PredatorSense and then download and install the latest version from the Acer support website. Sometimes, a clean installation can resolve glitches caused by updates.
    2. Reset Keyboard Settings: In PredatorSense, try resetting the keyboard settings to default. Go to the Illumination Control section, set everything to default, and then try adjusting the settings again.
    3. BIOS Update: Check if there’s a BIOS update available for your device on Acer’s support site. Sometimes, BIOS updates can resolve hardware-related issues, including keyboard lighting problems.
    4. Power Cycle Your Laptop: Completely shut down your laptop, unplug it, and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Then, restart it and check if the issue persists.
    5. Check for Additional Updates: Ensure that your system is up to date with all Windows updates and drivers. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues with system utilities like PredatorSense.

If none of these steps work, you may want to contact Acer support for further assistance, as there might be a deeper issue with the PredatorSense software or the keyboard hardware.

• Danielebo

I uninstalled predatorSense but now i cannot install it. I downloaded from the Acer website both 4.1 and 5.0 versions but clicking on setup.exe the installation doesn't work.

I noticed that also other users had this issue with the keyboard backlighting with the 5.0 version.

• Danielebo

Update: I successfully installed 4.1.585 and now it's working. I hope next versions of predatorSense will resolve this bugs…

• shanks0211
    shanks0211 Member Posts: 1 New User

I found a very easy, permanent fix around this problem.

Background :

I have a Predator Helios 16 RTX 4070 Laptop, which has dedicated rgb keys, and 3 rgb lights on the back extended surface just below the laptop lid, which can also be controlled.

Since a few months, Predator Sense software has stopped supporting the control of keyboard and back lights. Reason for this, I found after some research and after a warning msg pooped up on the window of rgb lighting, that this feature is now controlled by Windows Dynamic Ligthting.

I tried all the tricks and tips from Youtube and forums. Started and exited boot menu, toghled Windows Dynamic Lighting, restarted Acer lighting service from the taskbar. Nothing worked.

The most easy fix is to ditch Predator Sense and Windows Dynamic Lighting (WDL). Toggle WDL button to off. Go to setting > Personalisation > WDL.

Now go to google and type, Open RGB. Open RGB is an open source software to control all RGB devices on yori desktops or laptops. It is open source, hence free. Download the stable built for the listed operating system and architecture. Mine is Windows 11 64 bit. So you will find under Windows 64 and 32 bit. Chose desired. A folder will be downloaded. Copy and paste this folder under Progams x86 folder in your computer's C drive.

Now open Open RGB through the app icon in the pasted folder. And play with the controls in it. It will detect the rgb capable devices on its own. Now it's working just fine.

Acer has officially switched to WDL. But WDL sucks. It was not working for me. So I tried Open RGB.

Problem solved. Keyboard and back lights are working like a charm now.