Aspire E5-478 Screen blank while trying to install Windows OS 10 or 11

Options
Mkhd
Mkhd Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 7 in Aspire Laptops

When I install Windows OS 10 or 11 NVMe SSD, it's gone from freezing after that screen blank. Another try at installing the Ubuntu Linux distro; it's been successful but nothing freezes. I'm asking if it's possible to update the firmware exe on Ubuntu OS. I hope to hear back as soon as possible. Thank you.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited May 7
    Options

The Aspire E5-478 can't operate with Win-11 as its a Gen 4 cpu and hasn't got the TPM 2.0 security chip that is required for Win-11. With Win-10 this laptop should operate perfectly with it and with Ubuntu Linux distro. Go to the Ubuntu Linux distro page and get the instructions on how to install this OS onto this laptop.

Follow these steps to get Ubuntu up and running:

Prepare a Bootable USB Drive:

First, you’ll need a bootable USB drive with the Ubuntu installation files. If you haven’t already created one, follow the instructions on the official Ubuntu website to create a bootable USB drive.

Access BIOS/UEFI:

Restart your laptop and press the appropriate key (usually F2 or Del) to access the BIOS/UEFI settings during boot.

Look for an option related to boot order or boot devices. Make sure the USB drive is set as the primary boot device.

Install Ubuntu:

Boot from the USB drive.

Select “Install Ubuntu” from the desktop.

Follow the on-screen instructions to choose your language, keyboard layout, and other options.

When prompted, select “Erase disk and install Ubuntu” to replace the existing operating system (Free DOS) with Ubuntu.

Click the “Install Now” button to begin the installation process1.

BIOS Update (Optional):

Before installing Ubuntu, consider updating your laptop’s BIOS to the latest version. This can help improve compatibility and stability.

Visit Acer’s support website for your specific laptop model and check if there’s a BIOS update available.

Secure Boot and Trusted Boot Image:

Some Acer laptops have an extra menu accessible with a supervisor password set in the BIOS/UEFI.

Set a supervisor password if needed.

In the BIOS/UEFI, navigate to the security tab and select “Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing.”

Choose the Ubuntu boot image (e.g., shimx64.efi) and add it as a trusted boot option2.

Reboot and Enjoy Ubuntu:

Save the BIOS/UEFI settings and reboot your laptop.

Ubuntu should now boot successfully.

Remember that Linux installations can sometimes be tricky due to hardware variations, but following these steps should help you get Ubuntu running on your Acer Aspire laptop. Good luck!

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍