After BIOS update in TravelMate P215-54 , i got performance drop and much more noise from cpu fan

Options
lefstef
lefstef Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 14 in TravelMate and Extensa

I updated the TravelMate P215-54 to v1.21 from v1.18 and i got performance drop and much more noise from cpu fan

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options

BIOS update was meant to fix some but not all production models that might've had cooling issues. Accordingly, your performance and fan speed observations seem to be consistent with what would be expected by applying this update.

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

Can i somehow go back to v1.18? why is the fan noise driving me crazy?

• JackE
    Options

Yes, but it's not straightforward with a fairly high risk of bricking the machine. Try this. Turn machine off. Turn it back on and immediately tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Go to the Advanced tab. Press Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options. Look to see if rollback BIOS version option is supported.

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

Is unsupported, do i have any alternative?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried restoring the bios settings? When the user updates the bios, it is recommended to restore the bios settings to fix possible bugs.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

> >do i have any alternative?> >

Yes but very risky. If the old factory BIOS setup was OK before you updated it, then first try setting factory defaults opyion in the EXIT tab like @Commodore_1995# suggested.

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

edited May 8
    Options

yes i have reset bios. my SN: NXVVREP004XXXXXXXXXXX

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• JackE
    Options

So did you load and save factory defaults in the EXIT tab? Then re-boot?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options

The 1.21 update was a change to fix thermal issues, so it runs the fan at higher speeds than before to help keep the system from overheating. More fan noise is expected from that. Is there anything you can think of to do to reduce heat loading so the fan will run slower, such as a cooling pad under it with it's own fans?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

I have a new problem, the laptop doesn't open from the button if I'm on battery, if I'm plugged in it opens normally.

• JackE
    Options

Is the battery 100% charged?

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

yes it is.

• JackE
    Options

Go to the elevated command prompt. Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'.

Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

Compare design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

I have had the laptop for a month

• JackE
    Options

Open Device Manager. Expand batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers in the batteries folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Wait a few minutes. Turn machine back on and let Windows automatically re-install fresh copies of the battery drivers.

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

I tried it and nothing happened.
    Finally i opened it and the problem was with the battery latch.
    But how it worked when i unplugged it, i don't know

• JackE
    Options

> >the laptop doesn't open from the button if I'm on battery > >

> >But how it worked when i unplugged it, i don't know> >

Do you mean that it wouldn't boot on battery alone? But once it booted plugged in, it would continue to run after unplugging?

Jack E/NJ

• lefstef

Tinkerer

Options

Υes it wouldn't start on battery, but if i unplugged the cable it continued to run on battery.
    But i fixed it now and its ok.
    Νow i'll wait for newer bios to see if the fan doesn't sound so loud when I don't have a heavy workload

• JackE
    Options

OK. Thanks for battery report.

Jack E/NJ