Game lag on Steam. I have a Nitro 17 Model N23Q4

Options
Quade
Quade Member Posts: 7 New User
edited April 30 in Nitro Gaming

Anyone know what could be causing all the games to lag on steam? I have a Nitro 17 Model N23Q4 just purchased in December. I feel like we've done all the basic troubleshooting we can.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

Battery must be near 100% charged & plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming loads.

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

Yeah, that's not it.

• JackE
    Options

What are NitroSense temps when lagging happens?

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

How would I see that? I doubt it would be too high because we literally had just turned on the computer and started the game.

• JackE
    Options

Search 'nitro sense' in Windows start menu. Click 'nitro sense' app near top of menu. Minimize NitroSense while playing game. When game starts to lag, immediately maximize NitroSense to check processor temps and loads.

Also, 3rd party malware scanners should be disabled or uninstalled while trying to play.

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

Ok, says CPU is 140-150F, GPU around 125F, overall system 123F

• JackE
    Options

If you're gaming while those temps are displayed, the integrated GPU is probably being used, not the more powerful nvidia GPU. You should have nvidia control panel installed. Open it and look for option to enable it manually or automatically.

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

GPU says it is using Nvidia.

• JackE
    Options

Yes, but GPU usage must be low at only 125° F. Percent usage should also be displayed NitroSense. The CPU must be carrying most of the load. Are you sure that your power usage is set for performance mode, not battery saver mode?

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

It says it's on high performance. The other options are Balanced and Acer.

• JackE
    Options

Do you have any 3rd party malware scanners running in the background?

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

I checked and there's a whole bunch of stuff running in the background. So, two questions: 1) what, if anything is suppose to in the background and 2) how do you stop them or shut them down

I'm new to all this gaming stuff and my son is 11 and just getting into it, lol. I appreciate all the help!

• JackE
    Options

M c a fee & no rt on are common 3rd party scanners running in the background that can cause issues like this. While they can be disabled on startup, better to uninstall them as mic rosoft defender & malicious software tool are all that most folks need.

Jack E/NJ

• Quade
    Options

We don't have McAfee or Norton. Is there anything else that may cause a lag in gameplay?

• Quade
    Options

We don't have McAfee or Norton. Is there anything else that may be causing the lag?