Aspire 3 A315-58g-51L4, Slow and keeps lagging when browsing, thinking of upgrade

Options
Duke_H92
Duke_H92 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 28 in Aspire Laptops

I just bought this laptop
It is slow and keeps lagging even when only browsing
Am thinking of upgrade :
So I need to know:
1- if this model supports PCIe 4 and SSD nvme M.2 ? and what is maximum capacity ? which SSD do you recommend ?
2- Does this models come with soldered RAM? what is the maximum RAM capacity per socket?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,919 Trailblazer
    edited April 28 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, 4GB is soldered on the motherboard and you have 4 GB in the removable slot (#1), total 8GB (2x4GB) running in Dual Channel mode at 2667MHz. to check the RAM speed open Task Manager-Performance-Memory tab. You can upgrade up to 20GB (4GB onboard memory+16GB) with DDR4 2666MHz or 3200MHz module (the system will still run at 2666MHz maximum) but that will run in Single Channel mode at a lower speed. There is only 1 x PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe. Supports SSD Gen3 x4 like the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB.

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

Because the clock speed is 2667MHz so even if you install a 3200MHz module it will downclock to 2667MHz in Dual Channel mode (with 2 identical RAM modules, a kit) or lower if you mix modules like you plan to do with a 16GB-3200MHz, I don't know what the speed will be in Single Channel mode possibly 2400MHz. This model will not support a 32GB module as 16GB is the maximum capacity for a SODIMM slot and Ram only supports 20GB total (not 64GB): https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a315-58#memory

• Puraw
    edited May 7 Answer ✓
    Options

Vendors will always recommend their most expensive, biggest and fastest RAM/SSDs so don't base your RAM/PCIe slots specs on these sites, there is only 1 x PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe slot that supports SSD Gen3 x4 but Gen4 SSDs will run OK with PCIe 3x4 (backwards compatible) slots at Gen 3 speed (at half the rated Gen4 speed). Samsung 980Pro is almost the same price as a 970 Evo Plus (hard to find) so I would go for the 980Pro but don't expect the speeds that are quoted for the 980Pro. 😉

Answers