My Acer nitro 5 an515-52-50VR is slow and And upgrade the ram to 16gb

Options
Cayden
Cayden Member Posts: 5 New User

It has a wd 1tb HDD in it

Should I consider buying a Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3.500 MB/s) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8V1T0B)

And upgrade the ram to 16gb

Can I have help on what to do or what ones to buy because this laptop feels so delayed and it's been factory reset too

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, clone the existing HDD to the new SSD, turn on the boot menu in the BIOS and use it to boot from the newly cloned SSD, then after verifying things are working right, use Disk Management to wipe the HDD and repartition it as a data drive. That will give you the biggest performance boost you can get. Memory will help, but not as much as the drive will, and only really if you are swapping due to too little memory right now. 16GB is a decent size for most uses.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cayden
    edited April 24
    Options

I have no clue how to clone all I know what to do is just put the nvme ssf in and that's it

And the ram I need links for which ones I need before I buy anything

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,812 Pathfinder
    Options

@Cayden

You can use Macrium Reflect to clone the OS from HDD to SSD. For the RAM, you can check on your local PC part-shopping website. The RAM specs are DDR4-2666MHz. Stay away from XMP RAM as it does not work on this model.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Cayden
    Options

Macrium Reflect? Please can u help me with this I really don't what to do

• Cayden
    Options

Hey do I need to clone them ? Because it has nothing on there files to keep and I was thinking of having the HDD and sdd together can I do that?

• Cayden
    Options

I want to keep the HDD and just add the SSD nvme to the motherboard can I do that?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, you can have both the SSD and HDD in at the same time. Perhaps it would be better for you to have a technician do this for you. It shouldn't be too expensive since it's an easy process.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 256
    Options

Sounds like a Windows 10 or a 3rd party software problem because it affects more than games. Reboot and press Alt + F10 to reinstall windows sometimes you just need to clean house, beware it can take a long time. After reinstallation of Windows if all is working well, install your 3rd party software, games and apps, one at a time and check the performance after each one that you install, that way if one of them is affecting the system you will know which one.