Slow boot when USB memory card inserted in Acer Veriton N4660G

Options
Serth
Serth Member Posts: 2 New User

User has an Acer Veriton N4660G, updated to latest BIOS firmware. The machine is taking a long time to boot to Windows when a 120GB SD card + card reader is inserted to the machine.

In BIOS settings I've attempted to disable booting from removable media, disabling any other devices other than the main NVMe drive in boot media, to no avail.

Has anyone had similar experiences with slow booting like this? As soon as the memory card is removed, the machine proceeds to boot normally. I'm unsure what other settings I can toggle to stop the machine attempting to scan for a boot sector on the SD card.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Are you sure the issue is scanning for boot info on the SD card, and not something like chkdsk trying to repair the SD card filesystem?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Serth
    Serth Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It's stuck on the Acer boot menu so I imagine it's not Windows disk check, unless there's an Acer disk check function? It is also happening each time the system boots with the memory card in. It will eventually boot to Windows, however it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to do so, and will sit on the Acer screen until then.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

The last thing that happens while the splash screen is up is the start of a Windows load. Usually you get the juggling balls at that point. If they just sit and juggle for several minutes then it's Windows having issues with the card.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.