How to handle the new laptop battery on the first day Acer Swift Go 14?

Options
Magoosh
Magoosh Member Posts: 9 New User
edited April 22 in Swift and Spin Series

I've just bought a new Acer Swift Go 14 laptop. I have a question: Should I completely drain my new laptop battery on the first day, before I give it a good charge? Or maybe should I charge it first, no matter if there's some charge?

There's a Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery there, I guess… how to handle it on the first day?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,607 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Disabling Hibernate (that will disable Fast Startup automatically) is a Microsoft recommendation for Windows11 with Modern standby protocol (the new Sleep or S3 mode). I commended the BIOS reset because often S0-S4 settings are edited that control the suspend modes, but should not be necessary for a laptop Out Of the Box (OOBE). You should however disable Hibernate. You got the charging part right, but it involves only 1 full charge from 5% to 100%, not 3 times and don't disconnect the adapter before you boot to Windows and verify that the battery meter indicates 100% charge. If you have questions type @Puraw at the top so I get an alert by e-mail. 😉

Answers

• Puraw
    edited April 21
    Options

A new battery and a clean install (Reset) of Windows warrant one full charge cycle for BIOS and MS ACPI protocol to register the full capacity of the battery, failing to do so will result in bad battery statistics (Battery Meter) and Power Issues in Windows11. You only need to do this once. This is not a "calibration" but a full charge cycle: Uninstall hibernate and fast startup in "Change what closing the lid does" and "Change settings currently unavailable". Reset your Power Plan to factory default in "Edit Power Plan" and BIOS (F9 in BIOS, save changes) and completely shut down (not sleep mode) the proper way by clicking on Start-Power icon on the taskbar. Close the lid and plug in the 100-Watt USB-C charger or the conventional 65-Watt AC barrel plug power adapter and charge till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait 10 minutes. Open the lid, boot to Windows and verify that the battery is charged 100% on the battery meter taskbar. Unplug/disconnect the adapter/charger and work all day till the system shuts down on its own (don't panic nothing will be lost). Close the lid and plug-in connect the adapter/charger to charge the battery again till the amber LED turns blue plus 10 minutes. That's it.

• Magoosh
    Options

this is soo complicated…I did not fully understand that…sounds like a rocket science :(. does that to be so hard these days?

• Magoosh
    Options

thanks, but do I really need to access the BIOS? Is this a hard IT stuff, no? I googled it but I still don't know how to access it and if I really need it (is it safe to do what do not understand for the common user?)

• Puraw
    Options

No need to reset BIOS if you have not accessed/changed BIOS before.

• Puraw
    Options

You will get used to it, not that complicated, just charge the battery 100%, use it without adapter till the laptop turns off and recharge it again. The disabling of hibernate is to ensure it fully shuts down and not goes in hybrid (fast startup) mode. 😉

• Magoosh
    Options

I'm a doctor and if I tell you to describe to me all cranial nerves that originate in the medulla oblongata, would you feel safe? :).

any way…we gotta do it, right? Why do I need to go to BIOS? Would the factory settings in BIOS assume there're actually factory settings in BIOS in the new laptop? I'm not confident in it, as I said, this is not my major….I don't know how to go back to Windows after I'm done.

• Puraw
    Options

I already replied that if no one changed the BIOS settings no need to reset BIOS, I have no idea what has been done to your system when it was setup. This is as simple as it can be. You only need to do this once and if properly done the system power management will work perfectly.

• Magoosh
    Options

Purawji, thank you. My new Swift Go 14 has not arrived yet, I haven't seen it yet, waiting. While waiting I decided to ask how to handle it, so it lasts longer. So, as you see, I have not accessed anything. Shall I then forget about BIOS and changing hybernate/start settings?

If yes, then do I just need to plug a power cord to the power outlet (without turning on the start button) and wait till an amber light turns blue? Then disconnect the power cord, start my laptop, make sure the power is on 100%, then work on my laptop without worrying it shuts down fully. Then connect to the power outlet again while it's shut….and repeat the cycle 3 times. Did I get it right?

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

Disabling Hibernate (that will disable Fast Startup automatically) is a Microsoft recommendation for Windows11 with Modern standby protocol (the new Sleep or S3 mode). I commended the BIOS reset because often S0-S4 settings are edited that control the suspend modes, but should not be necessary for a laptop Out Of the Box (OOBE). You should however disable Hibernate. You got the charging part right, but it involves only 1 full charge from 5% to 100%, not 3 times and don't disconnect the adapter before you boot to Windows and verify that the battery meter indicates 100% charge. If you have questions type @Puraw at the top so I get an alert by e-mail. 😉

• Magoosh
    Options

OK, Tech Guruji, will do.

After I have my battery "blessed' with a few manipulations at the "just out of the box" stage…and it's ready to serve me….

how can I get the best battery life out of my Acer product (daily care)? Shall I keep it plugged in? Shall I wait till the charge bar slides down to 20% to connect it to the electricity? Shall I charge it to 100% and then disconnect the power cord? And that would be my daily dynamic mantra with the laptop, right? Almost like my eating: I have to eat on time to keep my glucose level even yet not too much, to stay in lovely size 8.

Seems like this li-ion battery is like a pet: no need to buy a pet to practice my care muscle.

• Magoosh
    Options

@Puraw

My laptop has arrived. I'm ready to follow your instructions on setting it up for firs time.

However, the turn on button doesn't turn it on. I got it with no charge at all, how it is possible? I heard that it's not recommended to store the laptop with less than 50% charge (li-ion battery doesn't like it).

• Magoosh
    Options

OK, thanks…I stopped panicking and waited till the next morning (it was late yesterday when I asked this question). I didn't get some new terms for me (like BIOS) plus I've never used Windows-11 previously, so I didn't know what the 'what my computer does after closing lid'. But thanks to Google, today morning I stopped panicking and started unwinding new terms with the help of Google. (I'm far from computer engineering but it's doable).

Thanks Tech Guruji :). I'll keep you updated.