PHN16-71 Slow Write Speeds on the drive my laptop is really slow.

Options
laddurollz
laddurollz Member Posts: 11 New User
edited April 18 in Predator Laptops

The write speeds on my laptop is really slow. PHN16-71 with windows 11 home 23H2. I have run the test multiple times but it's always similar

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

That seems like the correct benchmark test for your M.2 SSD boot drive, which is the 512GB SK Hynix model HFS512GEJ9X125N Gen4 x4 M.2 SSD which is a mid range Gen 4 drive and its typical of the speeds of this type of drive benchmark. There is nothing wrong with anything in your laptop. The benchmark caption above from the CrystalDiskMark benchmark software was faulty, hence and why you got those low write scores. Use the AS SSD benchmark as its allot more accurate. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,469 Trailblazer
    Options

There are two M.2 PCIe x4 slots in this laptop, both compatible with Gen 4 SSDs. If you have a Gen3 SSD installed change that for a Gen 4 SSD like the Samsung 980 or 990Pro. If you have a Gen4 SSD installed that speed is far too low. If it is a Samsung NVMe SSD download the latest driver or get a new one. Update BIOS and Windows11.

• StevenGen
    Options

The Predator Helios Neo PHN16-71 laptop M.2 SSD drive SSD1 and SSD2 M.2 slots should run at speeds of PCIe4x4, the PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive that you are benchmarking with CrystalDiskMark could have the following issues and faults,

1. The CrystalDiskMark software is faulty and its not showing a correct reading (reinstall another benchmark software like AS SSD) as the read/write benchmark speeds should be very similar to what the read speed of 7101.67MB/s speed is showing.
    2. Test another PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drive and see if the same low write speed is showing.
    3. If the write speed is still showing low compared to the read speed, then its your PHN16-71 laptops M.2 slot that is faulty and you need to send your laptop back to Acer Tech Support as your laptop might need a new replacement mainboard under wrranty.

I don't know what M.2 SSD drive you have (as @ 7101.67 MB/s speed it must be a Gen 4 4TB M.2 SSD?) as for a Gen 4 1TB or a 2TB M.2 SSD the 7101 MB/s is way too high and quick, so imo your CrystalDiskMark benchmark software is faulty, so install another benchmark like above the AS SSD benchmark. The quickest benchmarked Gen 4 x4 drives M.2 SSD tested drives by Toms Hardware are as follows; for the 1TB its 6,447 MB/s, for the 2TB its 6,904 MB/s and for the 4TB its 7,004. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

CrystalDiskMark benchmark test of a PCIe4x4 WD SN770 Black M.2 SSD drive:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• laddurollz
    laddurollz Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

this is the first test after boot. if i do it again it drops significantly. does everything here seem okay?

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

That seems like the correct benchmark test for your M.2 SSD boot drive, which is the 512GB SK Hynix model HFS512GEJ9X125N Gen4 x4 M.2 SSD which is a mid range Gen 4 drive and its typical of the speeds of this type of drive benchmark. There is nothing wrong with anything in your laptop. The benchmark caption above from the CrystalDiskMark benchmark software was faulty, hence and why you got those low write scores. Use the AS SSD benchmark as its allot more accurate. Good luck.