Acer Extensa 5620. i would like to replace CPU in laptop

Options
MPTraxx
MPTraxx Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited April 30 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi,

I just want upgrade my 2nd old laptop Acer Extensa 5620. So i replacing HDD (original HDD from 2008 year still i have it but a lot of bad sectors) Windows is installed working but slowly, then i will add 2 GB RAM - Total 4 GB ram with new SSD.

And also question is which CPU should i replace my current T5470 PPGA478 socket? I would have 4 cores for example QX9300 which is PGA478 and not PPGA478. I dont know if will be working. I have Intel GM965 Express chipset so these sockets will works BGA479 / Socket M - Merom/ Socket P - Penryn. Better will be when i upgrade it from 65nm (Merom) to 45 nm (Penryn)

If QX9300 will not work then X7900 (2 cores) or T9900 (2 cores with 3 GHz). Or which cpu is best in this case? I am looking for maybe high end CPU for my laptop.

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail]

Best Answer

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

As i wrote... It is compatible.. Today installed T9300 with another 2GB module (total 4GB). Installed Windows 10. Chipset is PM965 not GM965 but never mind both are same. Boot was successfull into bios and into OS.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Since your system has a T5470 in it right now, we know it uses a Socket P Merom with an 800MHz front side bus. That means you should be able to use a T7800 in socket P configuration in it, though Acer only specifies a T7700 as their top of the line version. Although some Penryn processors use the same socket, they are not going to be compatible with the chipset, so will not work. That includes all the quad core CPUs.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MPTraxx

Tinkerer

edited April 15
    Options

Thanks for reply.

Yeah I found on net something that on this chipset Gm965 i am able to run max with CPU T9500. But it is much expensive than T9300. I am not sure you wrote that max is T7800..

So i saw on net that my CPU was replaced by T9300. So in my case can i run this CPU? Because this is penryn (45nm) effective than merom 65nm.

T9300 and T9500 have 800 MHz FSB so should be working. And higher CPU for example T9900 have more than 1000MHz FSB so these CPU will not work.

On Intel website was something that manufacturer in my case acer know which CPUs are compatible with my motherboard (acer should know which bios version is compatible with CPU).

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

Here as you can see exact model it is installed T9300 (look at the pictures) https://hardverapro.hu/apro/acer_extensa_5620_jo_akkuval_t9300_4gb_ram_500gb_h/hsz_1-50.html

• billsey
    Options

The only thing you can do is try. I wouldn't expect a Penryn to work on a Merom motherboard, but with those older designs they sometimes did allow mixing like that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

Motherboard and chipset is ready for merom and penryn as far i know...

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,014 Trailblazer
    Options

If you are 100% sure that the Extensa 5620 mainboard and chipset are cpu Core Penryn ready, then why not upgrade to the top of the range Core Penryn the Core 2 Duo T9900 as that is even faster. But remember that Acer recommends for the Extensa 5620 as the top of the range cpu the Core 2 Duo T7800 as both are Socket P cpu's, but if you upgrade to the T9900 you do it at your own risk. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

@StevenGen i am not 100% sure but i saw same notebook with this config... So rather asking here... Intel said we dont know ask acer because bios should support it acer know only.

And acer dont know... Is there any supported CPU list for my board?

First i wanted upgrade to 4 cores (quad qx9300 but i read that no quad core is supported.

Also i cant upgrade to t9900 because i can only do upgrade with 800MH FSB. and on the top (max which i able upgrade) is T9500. But price for this CPU is twice than T9300. So T9300 is best choice for me.

• StevenGen
    Options

This is what Acer lists in the Extensa 5620 service guide as the compatible cpu's for this laptop and their top fitted cpu is the T7700, it does not list the Core Penryn T9300 cpu as compatible, you can try it at your own risk. if you want see if there are newer bios than you have, then update the bios and see if the T9300 cpu will work, for the bios and drivers for the Extensa 5620 look at either HelpDrivers but this is for the Extensa 5620Z or DriveCommection.com which is for the Extensa 5620. Good luck

Acer service guide Extensa 5620 Processor lists

Fist BIOS version was the version 1.12

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

Hmm okay thanks for this... I remember i flashed bios but bios was for 5620Z and working it on 5620 also.

Do you have CPU support list for 5620Z?

• StevenGen
    Options

The 5620Z cpu support is the same as the 5620 there is no difference, its the same service guide for both version laptops.

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

Hm okay but why is in guide (user manual) listed there also 9300? Some models...

I think it should be works (i saw some notebook that will works also i posted link above with same notebook)

Also see here in guide :

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Options

Also i find CPU upgrades web….

Chipset GM965 is ready for Merom, Penryn also for socket BGA479 https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/GM965_Express.html

• billsey
    Options

As we said, your only choice is to try it and see. We expect the T7800 will work, anything above that is at your risk.

• MPTraxx

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

As i wrote... It is compatible.. Today installed T9300 with another 2GB module (total 4GB). Installed Windows 10. Chipset is PM965 not GM965 but never mind both are same. Boot was successfull into bios and into OS.

• billsey
    Options

Good to know. :)