Battery Autonomy / Fan control - on a new Swift X SFX14-51G-71S4. Fan control gets louder.

Options
adriantilita
adriantilita Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 12 in Swift and Spin Series

Hello guys,

Recently I bought the model from the title.

While accommodating with it it seems to raise up to certain expectations, I do see 2 problems for which I kind of need a confirmation if it does behave as it should or am I doing something wrong:

1 - while charging, the fan control gets a little louder and I sense that the top case get's quite hot (charging while doing low impact tasks - watching a streamed video or browsing local files like photos)

2 - battery life hardly reaches 3 hours (real autonomy, not estimations) doing the same tasks (basic browsing / watching a movie / browsing pictures) - while having the battery to either balanced or battery performance, audio volume under 50% and the brightness around 50% (wifi enabled/bt disabled) and this kind of raises some questions: is it expected to have such a low autonomy while the description page reports up to more than 11hours?

My expectations were that would last at least 4h to 6h, but I hardly get 3hours

Haven't jumped to do the battery calibration as, if I understand correctly, that only helps out only the estimation as my concern is with the "real world" autonomy.

Thank you and hope somebody can give some points on what should be really my expectations

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options

> > either balanced or battery performance, > >

Not quite sure what you mean by battery performance? Higher performance on battery alone usually means the cpu and gpu are drawing even more energy from the battery when it might not be needed depending on which videos and apps you may have running. Do you mean better or best battery life?

A newer energy saver app might be available on your machine. It has more options and features to configure your laptop than the older battery saver app. Search 'energy saver' in start menu. Try some of the energy saver options to see if you can extend life of the battery another 1-2 hours

Jack E/NJ

• adriantilita
    Options

Sorry, indeed is misleading. I referred to "Best Power Efficiency" (this is the exact option) or "Balanced" (I see little difference in autonomy between them).

From the product download page, I cannot find any energy saver application :(

• JackE
    Options

How long is battery life NOT playing any videos or games and with NO 3rd party scanners like n or ton or mc af ee running?

Jack E/NJ

• adriantilita
    Options

Will have to test it without videos, as for games, I do not run games on battery (as I truly understand that the RTX will eat the battery up). No scanners, not even that much files to scan.

But if video-playing (it uses the Intel video, not the nvidia one) it is the problem for having just tops 3 hours (hardly) after it states it has an autonomy of over 10h, well, migth as well returned it back (i still have a week to decide) as Acer might not be the best choice for me.

In comparison, this Acer should replace a 2015 Dell that 2 years ago had a swollen battery that still had a autonomy of 2 hours (in comparison to over 6h when it was new - 9 years ago) - a small 14 inch with with a i5 and dedicated nvidia card - for which I bought a cheap after market battery that still gives over 2h (without the CPU being throttled).

I also have a Macbook air with more than 12h autonomy (so much, I don't even know how much exactly) and a Macbook pro with over 5h (with HUGE usage of resources).

Using this comparison, I would have expected around 5h autonomy in basic browsing and video-playing BUT I guess I was expecting to much :(

• JackE
    Options

> >after it states it has an autonomy of over 10h, well, might as well returned it back (i still have a week to decide) as Acer might not be the best choice for me.> >

A simple test. See if machine idles without screensaver overnight at 50% screen brightness. If it doesn't last at least 8 hrs, promptly return it to the vendor as not meeting your needs for a refund

Jack E/NJ