PH315-55-76PF having bd prochot triggered even when everything is 40 degrees celcius

Options
jhereg35
jhereg35 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited April 12 in Predator Laptops

hello, im having bd prochot triggered even when everything is 40 degrees celcius and computer is just idle. it locks my cpu at 0.38 ghz and basically turns my computer into trash.

from what i've seen on forums intel in its infinite wisdom decided to lock bd prochot settings in 12th gen cpus and acer bios has like 5 settings, just opening it and seeing those settings on a ''gaming laptop'' feels like a spit to face.

bd prochot randomly triggers and only way i can stop is if i move my laptop from position to position literally juggling it until it stops and i keep using it in fear of constant bd prochot triggers.

this is ridicilous and i need a solution, either a setting in bios or a program or anything, anything to stop it from triggering falsely and ruining my pc.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,551 Trailblazer
    Options

Did this start happening suddenly for no apparent reason?

How long ago did it start? A day ago? A week? A month? Several months ago?

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

2 weeks or so ago, for no apparent reason, there was no physical damage to laptop, in fact it rarely changed place, no interaction with any cpu gpu physically, there were few windows and gpu updates and that is it

• JackE
    Options

>2 weeks or so ago,> >there were few windows and gpu updates > >

Search start menu 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' near top of menu. If protection is turned on, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you still see any automatic update restore points with date stamps about 2 weeks ago?

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

no, earliest save is in 5th of april and i still had same problem back then

• JackE
    Options

>2 weeks or so ago,> >t

How long was it running OK before this suddenly happened ~2 weeks ago for no apparent reason?

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

just over a year, i bought this laptop early 2023 and was quite happy with it apart from some software/win11 related issues, but they were/are small issues such as when im in discord call if i open settings, it revokes discord's microphone permission so i have to close discord and start it again or leave/rejoin channel(doesnt always work) to speak again, or settings occasionally lagging and not starting at all, climpchamp program stopped working entirely etc. but these are things i can live with, but being locked at calculator speed permanently being able to do nothing, is a pretty big deal

• JackE
    Options

> >im having bd prochot triggered even when everything is 40 degrees celcius and computer is just idle. > >

Are these the temps reported by PredatorSense app?

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

throttlestop 9.6, predator sense reports around same but updates slower, ts also says when bd prochot triggers as well

• JackE
    Options

> >, ts also says when bd prochot triggers> >

Does it also report the temp at or near the exact time of the triggering event?

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

edited April 14
    Options

yes, i've tested it with 40-50 degree celcius before when bd prochot triggers it just stays that way, until i move laptop physically, no matter temperature of cpu etc. it will stay at bd prochot state/0.38ghz until i physically move laptop left right front back etc.

• JackE
    Options

> >only way i can stop is if i move my laptop from position to position literally juggling it until it stops > >it just stays that way, until i move laptop physically, > >/0.38ghz until i physically move laptop left right front back etc.> >

Likely one or more intermittent bad or dirty connector contacts. Hopefully not a cracked or cold mainboard solder joint. 11 screws must be removed from bottom cover to pry it off. Use a credit card or other plastic wedge to save your fingernails. A few useless plastic latches that are molded into the covers may break off while prying.

Make sure the battery pack is first disconnected from the mainboard before poking around inside. Best to remove the pack to give yourself more wiggle room. All accessible connectors should be re-seated a few times to help insure good continuity between contacts. Should ground your wrist or ankle. I use my metal watch band.

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

i will try this as soon as i can and will post update

• JackE
    Options

OK. Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not a bad solder ball.

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

Update: I've sent it to acer service, they told me there's nothing wrong with hardware that they've updated bios and tested it and it didn't have any problems. I've told them that im concerned about there being hardware issue as computer is completely fine as long as you dont move it but if you do it bottlenecks, they've said they looked into it and found no problems. I will get it tomorrow and see if they are right. Im a bit skeptical as I've not heard about there being a software issue where you can solve it by physically shaking pc but I'll keep my fingers crossed

• JackE
    Options

It's possible that service pulled the cover and re-seated the connectors to help assure good contact.

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

Since they've done tests for hardware and came to conclusion that motherboard is okay that's what i think too and im lucky for that, just im afraid of possibility that they've just said that they've done all these tests meanwhile doing absolute minimum and send my pc back with exactly same problem as before but i hope im wrong

• JackE
    Options

> >possibility that they've just said that they've done all these tests meanwhile doing absolute minimum> >

Yes, agreed. Not 100% guaranteed. But better than 0% had you not sent it in. Let's hope for the best after you get it back. Then go from there if needed. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

I've just got it and came back home and it's not booting, giving inaccessible_boot_device error. It's weird because they told me they've put all tests in desktop :)

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

Update: they've said i have to mail my pc again ahahahaahahah this is hilarious

• jhereg35

Tinkerer

Options

And cherry on top is according to my bios which is only part of my pc that i can access apart from windows recovery stuff my cpu is still locked at 0.38 ghz and everything is laggy as hell, so i was right, they didnt test or repair anything they just updated bios and bricked my windows doing that and sent it back!