My laptop helios 300 ph315-53 isn't charging

Options
drac_iron
drac_iron Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 8 in Predator Laptops

I have predator helios 300 ph315-53 rtx 2060 i5-10th gen. Recently I changed the thermal paste on my laptop, From that day my laptop isn't charging. Whenever I start a game battery light and power light starts blinking and laptop shuts down itself. I opened my laptop and disconnected the battery wire and tried to use it as a desktop but issue remained, start game and it shuts down.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,978 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The symptoms that you are getting when a laptop is not charging could be because of a shorted DC-In Jack or a faulty charging rail of your laptop. If you didn't disconnect the main battery, then that could have happened, or you could have shorted the DC-In Jack which will need changing, so get that checked out. There should not be anything wrong with your main battery so don't buy a new one, as a 3 years old battery does not need changing in a laptop. I suggest that you should take your laptop to a technician so they can analyze your laptops DC-In Jack and power rail and pinpoint if the DC_IN port is why your laptop is not charging or its the power rail, as you can't fix this problem with a change of a main battery or a reset of any sorts. Good luck.

The below caption is the mainboard of the PH315-53 and its DC-In Jack area that is circled in red, the vicinity of that area is where you could have shorted circuitries out and why your laptop doesn't charge after you have repasted the cpu/gpu. Get an experienced technician to diagnose your laptop and change the appropriate shorted/faulty circuitries so that your laptop can change. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,422 Trailblazer
    edited April 8
    Options

Two things you can try yourself: replace the battery and/or reset CMOS:
    Power drain + CMOS reset: Open the back of the laptop and disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard. Locate the CMOS module (with 2 twisted wires Red and Black under the battery) and remove the coin battery. Shorten the +/- terminals inside the CMOS capsule for 2 seconds with a bended paperclip and put the coin battery back with the + sign facing up, close the CMOS capsule. Unseat the two SODIMMs and firmly secure back in the slots. Next, press the Power Button on the keyboard for 10-15 seconds after that reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Close the laptop, plug-in the adapter and try to boot. If the battery still won't charge uninstall the 2 battery drivers in Device manager and just reboot.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,978 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The symptoms that you are getting when a laptop is not charging could be because of a shorted DC-In Jack or a faulty charging rail of your laptop. If you didn't disconnect the main battery, then that could have happened, or you could have shorted the DC-In Jack which will need changing, so get that checked out. There should not be anything wrong with your main battery so don't buy a new one, as a 3 years old battery does not need changing in a laptop. I suggest that you should take your laptop to a technician so they can analyze your laptops DC-In Jack and power rail and pinpoint if the DC_IN port is why your laptop is not charging or its the power rail, as you can't fix this problem with a change of a main battery or a reset of any sorts. Good luck.

The below caption is the mainboard of the PH315-53 and its DC-In Jack area that is circled in red, the vicinity of that area is where you could have shorted circuitries out and why your laptop doesn't charge after you have repasted the cpu/gpu. Get an experienced technician to diagnose your laptop and change the appropriate shorted/faulty circuitries so that your laptop can change. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• drac_iron

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw thanks for replying. Can you please elaborate the cmos battery terminals step?

• Puraw
    edited April 8
    Options

Yes, when you remove the coin battery you will see a contact at the bottom (the - terminal) and two contacts at the top sides (+ terminal) connect those two terminals with a metal wire or opened paperclip to create a short, that will reset the CMOS and BIOS. BTW batteries are good for 1000 full charge cycles which can easily be done in 4 years, I had to replace 3 laptop batteries that developed dead cells after less than 4 years in the past 10 years (2 HP, 1 Acer laptop).

• drac_iron

Tinkerer

Options

Tried it but didn't worked. BTW thanks for replying and helping.

• Puraw
    Options

Try to make a Battery Report maybe that indicates the battery condition when the laptop was still charging: Command: powercfg /batteryreport.

• Puraw
    Options

Still has >50% life left but the drainage graph is blank and the life expectancy of <1 hour is weird. I would try a new battery.

• drac_iron

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw @StevenGen guys something unexpected happened today, I turned on my laptop and battery light starts blinking and when i saw the battery percentage it was on 100%. I have ac adapter connected and orange light is still blinking.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 246
    Options

Inspect your laptop's charging ports and see if there is any dust or debris. Need to clean them? You can use a cotton swab very slightly dampened in isopropyl alcohol or compressed air. Make sure you let the ports dry completely before plugging the cable back in. Make sure that you have the charger plugged into the correct port, and if the connection feels loose, try adjusting the connection to line things up correctly. Have a good look inside the charging port using a flashlight, if needed.