Nitro 5 AN517-51 Charger/Battery Question. When running apps charger disconnecting and disconnecting

Options
NeuroDivergent
NeuroDivergent Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 28 in Nitro Gaming

Hey all. I've got an Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 running Windows 10, upgraded with 2 SSD and 32GB ram. Issue I'm having is when running intensive apps (Heavy burden games, music production, etc.) my charger is disconnecting and reconnecting about 4-5 times and then charging and power light blink as laptop continues on battery power. I find it odd as I recently replaced the battery and charger and both appear to be fine. I pulled the back cover and checked voltage both at the charger plug (when unplugged), at the 6 pin connector to the motherboard and at the connector to the battery. Charger voltage unplugged is 19.6v (it's a 180watt charger, what I've always had - had about 3); voltage at the board connection 19.4v and at battery connector, 17.2v. When under heavy load, at charger to mobo connector, voltage would flip between 19.4v and 18.9v as it connected/disconnected (charging light on/off and beeps).

Another interesting point is the time to full charge that I've been seeing. Sometimes it will say the battery is charged to 96% and about 10 minutes to full charge. Other times it will say over 4 hours to full charge from the same. These are under the same conditions, not running any programs except Win Security, NVidia drivers/settings. I've tried lowering Max Processor State in power plan settings down to 70% and the issue persists. At a bit of a loss and frustrated as I want to lay down some new tracks but Cakewalk keeps crashing as the system can't seem to handle it among other things. And I don't want to simply buy a new charger or battery (or maybe the charging plug to board cable?) until I narrow down the issue more.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,284 Trailblazer
    Options

Check the barrel pin of the plug with a caliper that should be 1.7 (Inside) x 5.5mm (outside) x 11mm (long). When you wiggle the plug during charging, are the LEDs reacting at all or do you hear a beep? Consider bringing the laptop and adapter to Acer Services in your country for checking.

• NeuroDivergent
    Options

It's not that. I've tried wiggling the plug and nothing happens, it's solid. It ONLY occurs when the laptop is under a substantial load. Close the program or app and it returns to normal.

• NeuroDivergent
    Options

Anybody???

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,284 Trailblazer
    Options

Consider bringing the laptop and adapter to Acer Services in your country for checking.

• NeuroDivergent
    Options

So helpful … Like I didn't already think of that. 🙄

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    edited April 18
    Options

Having the model Nitro AN517-51 laptop with 2x M.2 SSD drives and 32GB full capacity ram could starve your laptops power on high demanding software and games, hence and why you are getting the symptoms that you are getting of inadequate power starvation from your oem 180W adapter. The only other option(s) that you have is to go upgrade to a different and more powerful Nitro adapter from another Nitro laptop like either a 230W or 280W adapter.

Try the AN515-58 adapters of either the 230W or the 280W below as they have the same 1.7 dia x 5.5 long round barrel plug:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 232
    Options

Please check your battery wear with hwinfo or battery bar pro if more that 20% consider replacing its faulty also uninstall the acpi drivers. Perform a battery powerdrain reset bios to defaults & let windows reinstall the
    driver you can also calibrate your battery properly. If you havent done it should be done once every 3/6 months depending on usage let it completely discharge and recharge it (with the laptop off) repeat the
    process 3 times.