Acer travel mate p276 wouldn't boot up after upgrading ram to 16gb

Options
Bountiful
Bountiful Member Posts: 3 New User

Help, my Acer travelmate p276 wouldn't boot after installing 16gb ram. How do I fix this.

NOte: I've tried different types of Ram of the same DDR3L

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,961 Trailblazer
    Options

Which P276 model do you have? I'm going to guess it's one of the TravelMate P276-M SKUs, but there are others it might be. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like TMP276-xxx-xxxx. What speed is the memory you are trying to install? If I was right with the model number, it should be DDR3L-1600 and to use 16GB total you need two 8GB modules, not one 16GB module. The 16GB modules aren't supported on that chipset.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bountiful
    Options

@billsey The model is TMP276-MG-7321 and the ram is DDR3L (1600). I installed 8gb ram separately and it didn't come up. I also fixed a single 8gb alone and the same thing happened, it didn't turn on. It only works when I install a 4gb ram either single or double. I've also tried various 8gb ram from different sources and non worked. Is there something I'm still missing? Or something I didn't do correctly?

• billsey
    Options

The service guide is a bit ambiguous:

So, everything indicates it should support two 8GB modules and the "1 socket" along with the "8GB" shown above in the middle image is a typo. Looking up Haswell chipset specs also says it should support 16GB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bountiful
    edited March 29
    Options

@billsey I really appreciate your effort. All the info above are correct, but somehow I don't know if there are any other factors that could be causing the PC not to boot after upgrading the ram. Are there any other things I should check? Either software or hardware. And also I stumbled on a thread where someone posted similar issues although a different model but the same product "ACER". There was a suggestion for the person to check bios, I quickly checked mine but it seems mine is already on the latest I could find on the web. Bios version is 1.23, but I saw only version 1.06 and 1.10 on web. Is there possibility of a new bios that could fix the issue? Please help. I'm really desperate to expand the ram as I'm running heavy duty tasks and the PC seems to lag from time to time due to insufficient ram. Thanks

• billsey
    Options

A new BIOS will not fix it. If I were a betting man I'd lay a wager on there being a hardware issue, either with the motherboard design or your specific motherboard, with the high bit address line that limits the addressable space on the SO-DIMM sockets. They likely didn't actually test the systems with 8GB sticks installed, due to availability at time of release. You are likely stuck with 8GB max. :(