Compatible USB4/Thunderbolt 4 Docking Stations for the New Swift Go (Model No: SFG14-72T)

Options
Freway01
Freway01 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 25 in Swift and Spin Series

I purchased a new Acer Swift Go laptop with the Intel Core Ultra 7 processor (155H). I'm trying to use my CalDigit dual HDMI, 94W power, micro SD slot, etc. which worked great with my old Dell Inspiron (11th Gen) 2-in-1 laptop, and a few other laptops I've had friends test with. It uses a Thunderbolt 4 cable to connect the dock to a laptop.

When I attached the dock to one of the Swift Go's USB4/Thunderbolt 4 ports, the Acer recognizes all of the devices connected to the dock in 'Device Manager', but it says there are no audio devices installed so when you look under 'Sound Settings', nothing is listed under 'Output' even though the audio devices are listed in 'Device Manager'. All of the other devices connected to the dock work fine, and what I find interesting is, 'Sound Settings' doesn't even recognize the built-in speakers. If I disconnect the dock from the Acer, about 30 seconds later, the Acer sound system recognizes the built-in speakers again.

I spent the past week trying to work with Acer and CalDigit support, but they both kept pointing the blame on the other. When I finally got to speak to someone in Acer Level-2 support, he said they don't support 3rd party devices. I asked if Acer has a, or if he knows of a docking station that will work with the Acer Swift Go, and he said he didn't know any.

Does anyone out in the community that has a Acer Swift Go (Intel Core Ultra 7 processor model) know of a docking station that will work with it? If I can't find one that works, I'll be returning the Acer and picking up either an Asus or Dell 14" with the Intel Core Ultra 7 processor.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

We need to know just which model Swift Go you have before we can look into specs for the ports. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SFGxx-xxx-xxxx. If you have an Ultra 7 CPU then it's got to be one of the newest designs, with a Meteor Lake chipset of some type, but there have been several Swift Go models released in both 14" and 16" screens. Which model CalDigit dock is it? It looks like they have several current models, but I expect yours is older than those. You laptop likely doesn't have USB4 on it, that's an AMD only thing if I understand it right, but it likely does do Thunderbolt either 3 or 4.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Freway01
    Freway01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have, soon to be 'had', the 14" Acer Swift Go model SFG14-72T. I escalated this to Acer Level-2 support and spoke to one of the technicians about the problem and all of troubleshooting steps I've done with Acer Level-1 support, and with CalDigit support. The Level-2 technician told me that 'Acer doesn't support 3rd party devices', but he was going to talk to someone from the development team to see if they had any ideas. I gave him my contact info and was supposed to get back to my last Friday (3/22), but as of now, crickets.

I tried a new Ausu Zenbook with the same CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock and it worked without a problem which tells me it is the Acer problem. I'll be reaching out to Acer Level-1 support later today to let them know that they can close the ticket because I picked up a new Asus Zenbook with the same Intel Core Ultra 7 processor and Arc graphics and didn't have a problem with using the same docking station that the Acer Swift Go wouldn't work with. I'll be wiping the Swift Go and returning it to Costco for a full refund.

I gave up on Acer years ago, but because of the price and configuration, I figured I'd give them another try, but Acer has disappointed me again.