Acer XC705 No VGA or HDMI signal from mother board after replacement

Options
country_punk
country_punk Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer XC705 and the motherboard has failed. I bought a new motherboard and replaced it, just as I have in the past once before. However, this time I get no display signal from the motherboard VGA or HDMI ports. I tried resetting, checking all the plugs, I've tested the power supply, reseated RAM and removed the battery… all to no avail. I decided it must just be a bad board, so I purchased another, and now that I have it installed I am still having the same issue. Someone please tell me what I am missing here!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    edited March 22
    Options

Do you know for sure if the unit is turned ON ? Do you have on LED 's hooked up ?

Does the fan run ?

• Larryodie
    Options

Also are you SURE that the cables and monitor are OK. Don't assume but try on a working system . ??

• country_punk
    Options

system is on, fans run, hardrive spins, power LED lights up. cables and monitors tested on another system and working, second monitor tried on this system and same outcome of no signal.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

Do you have anything plugged into the PCIe x16 slot? #15 here:

If so, try removing it, since a card in that slot is supposed to be a GPU, which disables the onboard display functions.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • country_punk
    Options

nothing is in slot 15

• Larryodie
    Options

You can absolutely NO Display. ANY BEEPS.

HAVE you tried removing the RAM completely, also unplugging the mouse and keyboard or any other USB unit ?

• country_punk
    Options

ive tried removing everything except the monitor and still nothing. no beeps. same symptoms with both new motherboards

• Larryodie
    Options

GPU is the common thing ??

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

No GPU card installed though, so that can't be the issue. Normally I'd say it's pretty much got to be the motherboard, but with three of them tested that's likely not it. Next step is to really test the power supply. It might be putting out some of the needed voltages but not others. The Aspire XC-705 uses a standard old style ATX power supply with the 24 pin socket. Do you have access to another PSU to try? Those supplies provide 5V, 12V, 3.3V, etc. and one or more missing voltage will stop the system from working.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • country_punk
    Options

I don't have another PSU to try, however I have probed each wire on the 24 pin connector while unplugged from anything and each of the voltages were spot on. Whether those drop once there is a load or not im not sure…