Why does my Predator PO3 (PO3-640-EB11) recognize USB-C port as a DVD/CD-ROM drive?

Options
shawzie
shawzie Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in Predator Desktops

The USB-C port on the front of my Predator PO3 (PO3-640-EB11 WNHAML64PT/CI7-12 ) seems to be recognized by Windows 11 as a "Dell DVD+/-RW DW316 USB" device rather than something like a USB3.0 station. I want to connect a USB hub (a Startech 5G2A2CPDB-USB-C-HUB) to that port to add additional USB ports. That hub, with a thumb drive, is recognized through the USB-C port on my wife's laptop, but not this Acer. The computer was serviced last week by the Acer Service Repair Centre under Case ID: 111759CA, and claimed to be up to date. But i cannot get it to recognize the hub….

I've tried disabling / uninstalling the devices, but nothing seems to work… Any suggestions?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

Did you ever plug the optical drive into that port? I don't see any reason that hub wouldn't work just fine. What are you plugging into the hub that doesn't work?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • shawzie

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Billsey,

Thanks for your reply…

I've plugged a Thumbdrive into one of the ports on the hub, but the files don't show up in FileManager or anyplace else. The Thumbdrive is visible when plugged into the rectangular USB-1 port also on the front of the PC.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options

@shawzie

Try to reseat that front USB hub cable.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • shawzie

Tinkerer

Options

Hi @AnhEZ28 (and @billsey)

Thanks for responses!

I've re-seated that cable many times, and reversed the left/right (top/down) positioning, with seemingly no impact.. ,

Device Manager properties show as ( i don't know how to tell which port the small front USB-C is, but i'm guessing it's the DVD one, as it's not working as expected)…

Thanks for any O

Cheers, …Don

• billsey
    Options

There won't be an entry in Device Manager for the port itself, only for devices plugged into it and the hub and controller it's attached to internally. We really need to verify the port is working at all, which means plugging something other than the dock in to see if it works. Do you have one of those little USB-C to USB-A adapters to give something else a try?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • shawzie

Tinkerer

Options

Hi @billsey (and @AnhEZ28)

Thanks for your responses,

Couldn't find a USB-C to USB-A adapter here, so i may go out and buy one.

If i start up the system with the hub disconnected, and plug it in later, it is never recognized. But, if i start up the system with the hub (with or without a thumb drive attached) plugged in, Device Manager seems to recognize the hub as a 'Generic Superspeed USB Hub' for a short time, say 5 minutes (?), while the display screen flashes…

"EVENTS" indicates the device was not started:

The "EVENT VIEWER" logs for Error:

and for "INFORMATION", shows

That info means nothing to me, so i'll have to do some more searching. If you have any suggestions, i'd welcome them!!!

Cheers ….Don

• billsey
    Options

I wonder if it's exceeding the power budget? Is there an external power jack on the hub? I don't expect that to be the case unless there are extra devices plugged in that draw power. You could try uninstalling the root hub, the extensible host controller and the hub itself, then reboot with it disconnected, wait until Windows is done loading and then plugging it in so everything is reinstalled. If it's a corrupted driver that might just solve it.